Help me pick a specific Amp
Aug 30, 2011 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Now known as kpfeifle
Hello All:

Looking to step it up a notch and I have some specific requirements.  I live in an apartment and work a lot of night shifts, so most of my listening is done with headphones.  However, it would be nice to be able to run a small set of speakers every once in a while (When people are over for example).  Looking for a tube amp only, as that's the sound I love.  The obvious choice I have found is the Woo Audio WA5.  Four sets of inputs and headphone & speaker out.  My question is this, anything else like this that I should also look at before I decide?  Thanks!

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 2
Hello kev...Welcome

Well, what headphones do you own?  Have you thought about powered monitors?  The WA2 maybe? You can connect various devices to powered speakers (CDP, PC etc.) and don't have to worry about an amp.  For 3000 beans on the WA5 for speaker use mostly on a limited living environment (apartment) just seems a bit much unless you have some tower speakers you're ready to piss off your neighbors with...In my opinion, I can recommend the WA2 (has pre-out) and some KRK Rokits RP6G2.  The headphone amp can drive any phone you throw at it and the pre-out goes well with powered speakers...also, 4 inputs as well....

Here is a thread I started on powered monitors---

http://www.head-fi.org/t/564898/audioengine-a5-vs-krk-rokit-rp6-g2-nice

Enjoy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back