Help Me Pick a Small USB DAC/Amp for Work
May 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Stillhart

CanJam@RMAF 2015 Karting Champion
Hi all,

I'm looking for a recommendation on a USB Amp/DAC to use at work with my SoundMAGIC HP100.  Currently, I'm using a Recon3D USB sound card with a Fiio E11 amp.  I think it sounds great with these headphones, however it's not the most compact, it's got lots of cables, and I can't charge and use the E11 at the same time (so it needs to be micromanaged).

I'm looking to get something that's got fewer cables to worry about, that is also small and inconspicuous, and that will sound as good if not better.  The desktop units fail on size, and the Schiit stack also fails on cables, but they potentially sound a lot better.  Then again, at work I'm not looking for the perfect audiophile experience.  So yeah, unless the desktop units are significantly better, let's rank them pretty low.

So!  If you had a choice between these, which would you get:

Magni/Modi
Yulong U100
Audio-GD NFB-12
HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2
Audioengine D3
Audioquest Dragonfly 1.0
Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2
HRT Microstreamer
Geek Out 450

I can get them all in the same price range (except the AQDF 1.0 and the HiFimeDIY, which are both cheaper):  $150 +/- $15

Some of these are desktop units (and kinda big), some are compact USB units.  All have been reviewed very positively and I suspect I'll be pleased as punch with any of them.  I just have no idea which to get since they're all about the same on paper if you haven't heard them.

Oh last thing, the HP100 is neutral-to-warm already and so I don't think they pair well with something on the warm side.  For example, I didn't like the sound with my M-stage as much as with my E11.

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT - Oh and I tend to listen to a lot of upbeat rock, metal, djent and EDM at work.

May 23, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 5
I have no experience with any DAC / Amp combos (yet), but I've also been looking around for something similar.  I've found the Yulong U100 for $150 on some other site - edited out site because I didn't know links to them weren't allowed.

May 23, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 5
  I have no experience with any DAC / Amp combos (yet), but I've also been looking around for something similar.  I've found the Yulong U100 for $150 ...

http://www.head-fi.org/a/group-buys

You might want to remove that link as it's not allowed on this site.  And yes, I'm aware of that one.  Still not sure how it fits in sonically with all the others that cost about the same.  :-/

May 27, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Well I picked up a cheap HRT Microstreamer on eBay.  We'll see how it goes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back