Help me pick a pad!!!!
Apr 17, 2003 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bthorny

100+ Head-Fier
I got my Grado SR80's that I paid $35.00. They are in excellent shape except no pads.
Now the only question is what pads to put on them.

If their is a pad that you think I should use that is not on the list let me know.

Apr 17, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 10
The 414's (19545) hole punched and reversed.
Course I never tried the original flats (anyone got a source?). Did you mean to have the comfy's as a choice or was that what you meant by the flats?

Apr 17, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 10
The Sennheiser pads are comfy.
biggrin.gif
I'm using those on my SR-80s now.

Apr 17, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 10
My suggestion is to go for the readily available bowl pads, and break those in by squeezing them etc. Also make sure the phones clamp on your head fairly securely. This way, you have most of the warmth of the old flat pads yet you have the proper detail and clarity in the mid and top.

Apr 17, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 10
Apr 17, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
My suggestion is to go for the readily available bowl pads, and break those in by squeezing them etc. Also make sure the phones clamp on your head fairly securely. This way, you have most of the warmth of the old flat pads yet you have the proper detail and clarity in the mid and top.

I've heard about sqeezing the bowls... seems they become sorta like flats afterwards...

But Grado sells two.. "Large" and "Small".. Any idea which I should go for for them to become "flats"?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 10
The radioshack pads fit poorly; to loose, mine kept falling off and they dont sound very good compared to flats or senn pads. The flats are the best sounding, but you have to find them as they are no longer available. The h-19545 senn pads sound very much like the flats and are more comfortable. You can mod the senns or use them stock. Modded sounds better and they remain comfortable; but stock is even more comfortable with some veiling to the sound. Bowls suck; to bright, bass loses weight and impact, and not very comfortable compared to the senns. You can crush them as suggested but mine puffed back out once I started wearing them. There are several very clever mods to the senns.
darfina, I think is the posters handle, has a reverse mod, and an ingenious way to cut out a perfect hole, that you can research in the archives. Good luck
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 10
For my Grado HP-1000s I have both the bowl pads and the Senns. The bowl pads are fodder, while I use the Senn pads all the time. Way more comfortable, and quite cheap. I ordered 4 pairs for about $22, including shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back