Help me pick a new soundcard
Oct 5, 2005 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CavemanDoctor

New Head-Fier
I got some HD555's (120 ohm) and, since I'm plugging them into a crappy onboard audio laptop, they don't sound that great. So I want to get a usb soundcard. Problem is I would really like to limit the budget at around 50 bucks. Nothing too fancy.

Anyway, here's what I'm dealing with:

Headphones: Sennheiser HD555's 120 ohm.

Sound card: Sigmatel Audio onboard on a Dell 600m Laptop

Use: About 80% of the time, I listen directly from laptop. The other 20% I listen through my iPod.

Source material: Most of my mp3's are burned at 192kbps.

I've heard several recommendations including the M-Audio Transit, Audiotrak Optoplay and the TBAAM.

I'd like to get a soundcard that'd be good enough to forego buying a separate amp.

What do you guys think?

Oct 5, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by CavemanDoctor
I got some HD555's (120 ohm) and, since I'm plugging them into a crappy onboard audio laptop, they don't sound that great. So I want to get a usb soundcard. Problem is I would really like to limit the budget at around 50 bucks. Nothing too fancy.

Anyway, here's what I'm dealing with:

Headphones: Sennheiser HD555's 120 ohm.

Sound card: Sigmatel Audio onboard on a Dell 600m Laptop

Use: About 80% of the time, I listen directly from laptop. The other 20% I listen through my iPod.

Source material: Most of my mp3's are burned at 192kbps.

I've heard several recommendations including the M-Audio Transit, Audiotrak Optoplay and the TBAAM.

I'd like to get a soundcard that'd be good enough to forego buying a separate amp.

What do you guys think?

Personally at the $50 range doesn't really leave you many options. The soundcard inside the computer is ok. I think going to drop quite a bit more before you are going to hear a difference. Otherwise keep the $50 and listen to the music. Get a used pair of 595s or A900s. Again more money then what you are talking about more better headphones at your level is going to make the most difference.

Oct 5, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
For $80 you can get a E-MU 0404. In my opinion worth more than twice that.

SUre it is... but you missed his point that it needs to be an external one that can be used with a laptop. 0404 is PCI-based technology...

EDIT: Either way, $50 is too little of a budget for a decent one for lappy/external unit.

Oct 6, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by CavemanDoctor
Yeah I heard it's good. And I like the price.

Has anyone heard anything else about the Optoplay? Do you think I'd still need
an amp with it?

The OptoPlay will comfortably drive HD590s, HD280 Pros, and SR60's. I don't recall actually trying the HD555's with it, and my OptoPlay is currently loaned out to LFF... I don't see why I would have a problem with them though, they're not that hard to drive. Either way, the OptoPlay is likely to be a hell of a lot better than the onboard sound. It certainly handed it to the Audigy 1 Platinum EX that I used to have in my PC. As a bonus, it has 2 channel optical s/pdif, and supports sample rates up to 96khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back