Help me pick a kick ass source and other stuff :)
Dec 23, 2003 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

disturbed

500+ Head-Fier
Ok guys I have a Meier Audio "Prehead" here but no source for it yet.

In my area I can only find the following brands: Linn, Arcam, Mark Levinson and Sony.

I've got a budget of around 4000$ and I am looking for a cd player (sacd would be a great bonus) than can bring out the true qualities of the Prehead.

I'm also looking for a pair of phones and cables to compliment this system.

My music tastes vary: I like stuff like Massive Attack, Dream Theatre, Classical, Enigma and so on ...

Anyone got any suggestions?

I want to buy around christmas time so me need to rush rush
tongue.gif

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 20
Must it be new? Don't buy new, you limit yourself... A used player is a great idea.

Are the phones and cables included in this $4000? If so, that's all the more incentive to buy used. No need necesarily to spend so much particularly, unless the money is just burning a hole in the pocket. Balance your spending, don't spend it all on just a source. I think $2000 alone should be more then enough for a great headphone source. I put up an interesting thread about a good idea for a source, that would possibly save you some money.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=54895

If your set on an all-in-one solution, why not go on over to a local hifi store, audition a few so you know what you like, then start shopping for used models on audiogon?

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 20
Has to be new man, and modding is out of the question. Where I live there is no second hand market neither is there a modding market
frown.gif

Dec 23, 2003 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 20
How about a Meridian CDP? I heard Ray Samuels' Meridian at the Chicago meet last year and it was wonderful.

Or, better yet:

With that sort of budget, you could get into vinyl as well. Take care of digital with the highly rated Jolida CDP for $1K. Then order yourself a VPI Scout with JMW arm & Grado cartridge for $2K. Add the excellent Grado PH-1 phono stage for $500, and a new pair of Sennheiser HD650's, and you'll have just about enough left over for a nice bottle of wine to drink while you enjoy musical bliss!

That's how I would spend $4K on source and cans.

Dec 23, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 20
Thats the prblem ... I cannot order from abroad due to the shipping charges.

I am stuck to the products listed in my first post for sources.

Headphones and cables I can order online as the shipping costs are resonable but still a bit high ...

Dec 23, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 20
You absolutely must be used man! You're shooting yourself in the foot by eliminating used items.

Not to mention, modded items. You could always re-sell modded equipment here or at Audiogon.

Here's how I would spend 4k.

Used Sony SCD-1 $2000
New Ray Samuels HR-2 $875
Used Virtual Dynamics Reference Power Cords & IC's $900
Sennheiser HD650 $450

Went a little over budget but I think it would be worth it!

Good Luck

Dec 23, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 20
With your 4K budget and keeping your limitations in mind, I would go for the top-of-the-line Arcam FMJ CD33. This is a great-sounding player that can be found new for around $2000. The Linn Ikemi also sounded good at the recent Bay Area meet, so you might want to check that one out as well. I've only had experience with really high-end Mark Levinson gear, so I can't comment on anything in your price range. Regarding the Sony sources, don't bother with them unless you can find the 222ES or 555ES for a good price (and even then they really need to be modded to sound their best; I've only heard a non-modified 555ES). I still say the Arcam FMJ CD33 is the winner amongst these choices. With the other 2K you might want to check out the Sennheiser HD-650, and perhaps pick up the Zu Mobius cable for it (my favorite aftermarket Sennheiser cable). My favorite cables are the Virtual Dynamic Master series, but they will easily destroy your budget, and your system may not have enough resolution to fully benefit from them anyway. I think the Cardas Neutral Reference interconnects and some decent power cords will suit your system well. Let's see the budget (using the highest prices to be safe; you may find better deals, and if so use the extra funds for music):

Arcam FMJ CD33: $2500
Sennheiser HD-650: $450
Zu Cable Mobius: $200
Cardas Neutral Ref IC 1M: $400
2 Good Power Cords: $300

Total: $3,850

This system looks amazing, and the Corda Prehead only strengthens its outlook. Have fun building this awesome rig, and enjoy the music it reproduces even more.

Dec 23, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 20
I you can afford a Mark Levison, I would try one out. They are reported as being incredible units, very well built, and if you come to the US with a little cash you could upgrade it to a 390S while you're here. This isn't really a mod, it's an upgrade to a whole new level of sound, and they even replace the front panel to reflect the new model.

Linn is also very good, but their house sound is kinda hit or miss, a lot like Krell. If you like it, it's incredible. If you don't it is not so good.

Dec 23, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 20
I used the Shanling with the level one mods and W.E. 396 tubes with the HD650/Zu cable and should have never sold that CDP! These go hand in hand. With your budget you can get the Shanling CD-T100 or CD-T200(sacd) with the mods from www.underwoodhifi.com. IMO these players are much better than the Cary 303/200 and any of the Meridians I heard. They are smooth yet very powerful sounding with lots of detail. Totally musical! Mine went to Bedlam from this site. He heard the Shanling with the HD650/ZU and can give you his opinions. sacd lover heard the player with the HD600's and can also let you know what he thought. With your budget you can't go wrong. Good luck, and Merry Christmas.

Dec 24, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 20
Would you guys suggest getting DT 880 Beyerdynamic's instead of the Senns HD 650?

Anyone compared the two?

Dec 24, 2003 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by NeilPeart
Arcam FMJ CD33: $2500
Sennheiser HD-650: $450
Zu Cable Mobius: $200
Cardas Neutral Ref IC 1M: $400
2 Good Power Cords: $300

Total: $3,850

This system looks amazing, and the Corda Prehead only strengthens its outlook. Have fun building this awesome rig, and enjoy the music it reproduces even more.

Nice shopping list; that's what I'd do too!

Dec 24, 2003 at 5:39 AM Post #14 of 20
Get the Arcam player (best redbook I've ever heard was from an Arcam) and the 650's.

-EDIT-

Although you might also look at their FMJ DV27A since it also supports DVD-A and HDCD.

Dec 24, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #15 of 20
disturbed -

jefemeister says Wadia is distributed to your area. I'd check them out.

On the other hand I looove my Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD player. (On the other hand its got about $3,500 worth of mods to it, so maybe its not so typical.) However, for what its worth Stereophile rated the stock unit an A+ player, so how bad can it be. Sony has replaced it recently, but NOS players can be had around $2,000.

That said, Levinson has some good press. If they've got one in your price range (I don't know the exchange rate, duty, etc. in your neck of the woods) they'd be a good audition as well.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back