Help me out, with wireless headphones
Jun 8, 2005 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cylanes

100+ Head-Fier
I`m looking around for a wireless headphone.
Yes I know they aren`t that head-fi. But I still like to have one for situations where the cable is annoying me.

I did a search here, but didn`t found much info on the board.
Who here has experience with wireless ones??
any suggestions?? Maybe the RS 120 ??

give me some advice guys.

Jun 9, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 8
B U M P

Jun 10, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 8
is this really true, nobody here has an opinion on wireless headphones........
come on guys.

Jun 10, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 8
I think that the general consensus is that with wireless headphones there will always be static feedback.

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 8
My opinion re: wireless phones is that if the headphones are without wires, they lack fidelity too. Most cans operate in the 700 Mhz bandwidth with compromised transmission quality. Jmedeiros really likes his pioneer wireless phones. Likewise the Sony top of the line wireless is believed to be good. However both these models employ IR and need line of sight to work (like wires). All that intervening circuitry is just a set up for degradation in sonic quality.

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 8
I run Sennheiser wireless headphones at work... I'm pretty sure they're the old RS-6 model. They're 900MHz RF cans. They're comfortable, light and provide decent sound. With the 3 channels to choose from, I've never had any issues with interference that a little fine-tuning of the tuning dial couldn't fix. Do they sound as good as my home or even portable setup? Not at all. But are they better than having to deal with a cable draped across my desk all day or not being able to listen to music when I'm loading the plotter or doing anything else within 100 yds of my desk? Hell yeah!
Also, the lack of fidelity discussed above, while I'm sure not intentional, does serve a purpose, at least to me... they are not fatiguing at all. I can listen to them all day at work and never find myself wanting to stop listening, while sometimes I do get tired when doing "critical" listening with any of my other cans.
IMO they have their niche, and are a great alternative to the hassles of wires if you are in a position where that could be an issue. I'm considering upgrading my wireless cans as my RS-6's are pushing 6 years old and are starting to show signs of wear... they still work well but are showing their age.
HTH,
Ian

Jun 11, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 8
Pioneer SE-DIR800C here, and I really really like 'em.

Jun 12, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 8
You get no static with a pure Digital Infrared transmission. Most IR units are digital, but the old Sony MDR DS3000 was an analog-digital IR and had hissing at high volumes. The MDR DS4000 is pure digital, and is ~$185 at online vendors. All the Pioneer wireless Dolby Headphone units are digital IR, too [DIR-800C (weak bass IMO), DIR1000, and SE-XB1), but these are significantly more expensive than the Sony MDR DS4000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back