Help me out, please... FA-990s on eBay... too good to be true?
Jul 26, 2010 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

somethingrad

New Head-Fier
Hello, everyone! Compared to pretty much all reading this, I am a relative novice to the world of audio... if you don't count plenty of lurking here on HF :)

Anywho, I found what looks to be a nice set of earbuds that would meet my needs: the Fischer Audio FA-990's. Then, I found them on eBay! Wow!

Then, I saw that they were $20 (+$10 shipping) and coming from Singapore. Huh?
How suspicious should I be? The guy has some good feedback (107, and 100% positive), but that could be from unsuspecting people who wouldn't know the difference, maybe. The seller appears to specialize in audio gear, based on his history. Also, there is a 1-year seller warranty.

Thanks for helping a newbie, and if this is some kind of AMAZING DEAL (not likely, I know), please have mercy and don't just buy them before I can, haha. :wink:

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 7
If you're referring to gd_audiobase then you shouldn't doubt - he is an authorized FA reseller. The FA-990 costs significantly less than that in Russia so I don't see why this is too good to be true.

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 7
Ah! Yep, that's the guy.

Also, I just found a russian site reviewing the FA-990 set (thanks, Google translator!).
Have you heard anything about them yourself? There's not much here on HeadFi.

Thanks for the reply!

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 7
I can see the FA990 on the Russian language version of Fischer's site but a lot of Russian stores list it as discontinued. Retail prices seem to be in the $12-16 range. Reviews say that it feels rather nice build-wise but has a j-cord setup. One guy gives the sound a 4/5 for the price after a lengthy but ultimately insubstantial review.

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Ah! Yep, that's the guy.

Also, I just found a russian site reviewing the FA-990 set (thanks, Google translator!).
Have you heard anything about them yourself? There's not much here on HeadFi.

Thanks for the reply!

ive been using it for a month now.
deep bass, neutral mids, and smooth highs (lacks sparkle compared to mx980)
really good for the price
but the j cord is kinda annoying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back