help me optimize my PCs sound!
Nov 7, 2009 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

munchzilla

500+ Head-Fier
hola, I got a gaming-computer, with a crappy soundcard called Creative Audigy 2 ZS, which I run a pair of Sennheiser HD555's with.
I want to get the best sound possible out of this.
running windows 7 64-bit and foobar2000

software setup?
tweaks?
volume settings?
drivers?

trying to get better sound quality for music.
well just software-related things like settings and stuff, don't want to buy anything new to it~

thanks in advance!

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #2 of 10
Well if you need an equalizer, I'd recommend you to use George Yohng's VST Wrapper for foobar (foo_dsp_vstwrap) and then use the Electri-Q posihfopit equalizer with it (Electri-Q posihfopit). Both are free, and it's a good fully customizable equalizer.

You could also try setting the audio output on foobar for ASIO, but in Windows 7 I hardly think you'll notice any difference (it could make a difference in XP though, because of KMixer).

I don't think there's much else you can do only with software...

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 10
hmm I really wasn't looking for any equalizers, I've only had bad experiences with those :p
I've tried Kernel Streaming but it didn't really give any better sound, so hmm...
there are no settings in the driver control panel thing I can do?

thanks!

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by munchzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hola, I got a gaming-computer, with a crappy soundcard called Creative Audigy 2 ZS, which I run a pair of Sennheiser HD555's with.
I want to get the best sound possible out of this.
running windows 7 64-bit and foobar2000

software setup?
tweaks?
volume settings?
drivers?

trying to get better sound quality for music.
well just software-related things like settings and stuff, don't want to buy anything new to it~

thanks in advance!

1. Your software is fine as is, perhaps you would want to use the WASAPI plugin for F2K instead of KS. FWIW I didn't notice a difference between DS output and WASAPI/KS/ASIO either.

2. I like my music untouched in the digital domain so can't help you here.

3. Maxed in F2K, adjust to your preference with the system volume control.

4. Just the normal Creative ones. I'm not familiar with the Audigy drivers, just the X-Fi ones
tongue.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 10
righto, that's about how I have it set-up at the moment. with tweaks I'm not even sure what I meant, I don't like equalizers and other things like that.

btw what is this "Enable Audio Enhancements" in the settings?
and the frequency/bit-settings don't change **** does it?

thanks!

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 10
If "Audio Enhancements" are enabled, you're guaranteed not to be getting bitperfect audio. Frequency settings matter a significant amount, you should always match the output frequency with the source material's frequency when possible (usually 44.1kHz, what CDs use). Bit settings matter not, if you play 16-bit content and have it set for 24-bit it doesn't modify the sound, it just adds 0s.

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 10
The Audigy 2 ZS was a good card at the time but there are much better card available now. Aside from tweaking the A2 have your considered just buying a new gaming card?

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 10
hey guys, this was pretty lame. my audigy 2 ZS micport doesn't work with 64-bit OS, and according to the Creative-guys it's a known issue. but I guess it wasn't a big deal!

anyway I did not use the audio enhancements and I had 44.1KHz 16bit as mode.
hmm, so, I am running my integrated card for the first time and I'm quite surprised. I like it better than the Audigy? or is it just because it's different.. but to me it sounds somehow better...

thanks!

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 10
how about an external dac/ amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back