Help me narrow down amp build for DT880's
Apr 28, 2007 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pwrusr

100+ Head-Fier
I've considered a BUNCH of amps for my cans. But I think I may have narrowed it to a few decent ones:
-m^3
-PPAv2
-a few tube amps (hybrid and full tube)

This will also be my first amp build. I don't see this as too much of a challange. I see it more as cool way to learn alot more about electronics. I've done a bit of soldering in the past. and I do believe I can read most electronic diagrams fairly well too.

My goal is to really make these cans shine. I'm mainly looking for a bit of a boost in the low end to make it more impactful. that's why the PPA and M^3 amps look the best to me. I just ahven't really heard much if any of a compareison between the two.

Let me know what you guys think
280smile.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 4
I've used morgan jones (with modified by Alex Cavalli) before and I like the combo.

I've recently built an aikido (see my other active thread) and I'm evaluating it right now. initial feedback is very good. and it's not broken in yet. I've researched the aikido before I decided on it and other people using other headphones have nice words on the design. PCB is available in tubecad.com or you can use point-to-point. shoot me a pm if you require assistance
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 4
I don't think you will go wrong with either the PPA V.2 or M3, both respected DIY amps with the bass boost option you wish for. I know jrossel sells a complete kit for the M3 which would make sourcing parts easy (this is always my bane when it comes to DIY) My personal preference is tubes but that has an entirely different motivation
cool.gif
..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back