Help me mix and match
Aug 2, 2009 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sno

New Head-Fier
I have read around and I think I have decided on the stuff I want (and can) buy.

I have decided on two headphones that I will try out. I found the dealers at which I will be able to demo them. The 'phones are: Senn HD600 and Grado SR325i.

Now, I am in a dilemma. Do I go ahead and buy the HiFiMAN EF2 hybrid amp and dac, so I can get input from the turntable and the computer...

Or, do I buy something like the LD I+ or the LD MKIII, and then separately buy a DAC (like the Vivid Technologies V1 - vividaudiotech.com - Headphone Amplifiers) or an X-Fi ExpressCard/54 for my laptop (or some other sound card)?

I am looking to spend around $200 for the amp (if I opt for the hybrid amp without dac, then the x-fi card or the DAC would come later).

Right now, my primary source is Audio Technica PL-120 turntable and I am focusing on making that sound good.

Thanks.

Oh, and mix and match:

Sources: (both sources need to be used)
Computer (without proper sound card)
Audio Technica PL-120 turntable

Amps/DACs:
LD I+
LD MK III
HiFiMAN EF2

Vivid Technologies V1 USB DAC
Sound Blaster X-Fi Notebook

Headphones:
Senn HD600
Grado SR325i

Put something together that will give me a "warm" sound. I like listening to rock, blues, reggae... nothing with too much bass, but decent bass is important, of course.

Thank you, my first step into the headphone world is in your hands...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back