Help me make my next purchase
Dec 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FiJAAS

Previously known as DTSxJP
I recently bought a iPod Classic 7th Generation days before Apple discontinued it. I have the iPod paired with JDS Labs C5. I like this setup but I feel that there is more out there that needs to be discovered.

I have two options I can go with.

1. Keep the iPod Classic and purchase a Sony PHA-1 to utilize the external amp and dac.

2. Purchase Astell and Kern AK100 and ALO Audio The International+.

Remind you I only listen to Compact Discs rips, so at the moment Hi-Res audio is not needed.

I rip the Compact Discs to AIFF then convert it to ALAC. These are the only two formats I use.

Will the AK100 and The International+ sound better than the iPod Classic and Sony PHA-1?

Can the AK100 built in dac can be bypassed?

Thanks for your help,
I look forward to my next purchase.

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 9
Why not just spend the money on headphones instead of electronics? It sounds like you have a good set-up, and quite frankly, changing the headphones will give you MUCH more variety in sound than changing the sources.

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 9
Why not just spend the money on headphones instead of electronics? It sounds like you have a good set-up, and quite frankly, changing the headphones will give you MUCH more variety in sound than changing the sources.

What headphones do you suggest? I like closed. I was thinking about getting the Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 OHMs.

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 9
I currently own:
iPod Classic 7th Generation
Audio Technica ATH-IM50
Audio Technica ATH-M50
JDS Labs C5

The JDS Labs C5 leaves me wanting more, hoping I can get that with the Sony PHA-1 or get the AK100 and International+.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 9
Unless you are talking solely about volume, I suspect what is leaving you wanting more are the headphones not the electronics.

Volume is not the problem, it's the sound. The headphones that I have sound great when used with my iPhone 6 and Android Tablet. I'm just not happy with the sound coming from the C5.

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 9
That's odd - the C5 is typically considered to be an extremely neutral amp. What happens when you use the headphones directly from the ipod classic? It should be very similar to the iphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back