Help me make a decision
Jul 18, 2011 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cmathes

New Head-Fier
I thought I wanted a pair of top end custom in ear headphones until I went to CanJam at RMAF last October.  After l listening to many terrific headphones including JH Audio's top offerings, I was more taken with traditional on or over the ear headphones such as the great cans from Audeze and HiFiMan.  I dropped my original plan.  

Now some time has passed and I again want the utility, portability and isolation afforded by an in ear design.  I had molds made of my ears locally and a set on file with JH Audio from RMAF.  I've read threads and done some research, but I'm not very confident so I would like advise from the group's experience before pulling the trigger on my next set.

Here are a few parameters: I am not willing to spend $1000 + for the latest and "greatest."  Instead I am looking further down the food chain.  I will use without an amp and directly out of my computer, iPod and iPhone.  Sometimes I will listen at home, but also in the gym and while traveling. I understand that adding an amp may flesh out my listening experience, but an amp is an extra complication I want to avoid.  I would also like to have them within the next two weeks so I can enjoy them on an upcoming trip.

Here are a few options I have come up with: The JH5, Westone's AC2 and UM3x, Sony's MDREX1000 and Ultimate Ears's 4Pro.  The universals tend to be cheaper, so that is a plus, but I like the idea of custom ones because that is at the very least unique.

Thank you in advance for your experiences.

Chris

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 2
I know may people write similar threads as mine.  I think what I am really asking is should I choose a custom fit or universal at the $500 - price point?

I also have read several reviews of the EarSonics SM3.  Is this a better headphone than Westone's UM3X or the flavor of the month?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back