HELP ME!!! M-Audio Q-40 Replacement cables direct links (Amazon/Monoprice?)
May 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

lubczyk

100+ Head-Fier
*I know there are threads on this, but they all:

1. seem vague and don't have direct links

2. require some do-it-yourself work.

So I just received the Q40 and I'd like to have replacement cables on hand. I'd like direct links as suggestions, if you please.

I've heard that monoprice 3.5mm cables fit, but which ones? The same with Amazon cables. Are there any threaded replacement cables?

Will these work? 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CZNS0U/

et cetera....et cetera.

May 16, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 13
I personally did a deal and requested Monoprice 8323 DJ headphone bundled cable for mine in the buy/sell section of the forums (I had bought the headphones in the process if they sold those headphones in europe too, I mean what is there to lose as it costs only $21), only the thinner one of the bundled cable will fit. With this cable however it's a perfect match and makes it sounding noticably better than with stock (soundstage, clarity, bass definition)

You basicly need cable with plugs of the size of typical IEM cables without any additional thickness, such as for example would be bundled with portable FiiO amps, unfortunately they don't seem to sell much of such very thin tips kind of cables separately. 

Or maybe there's screw-on tips available somewhere too, that would be nice but it seems hard to find that would suit exactly Q40.

May 16, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
I personally did a deal and requested Monoprice 8323 DJ headphone bundled cable for mine in the buy/sell section of the forums (I had bought the headphones in the process if they sold those headphones in europe too, I mean what is there to lose as it costs only $21), only the thinner one of the bundled cable will fit. With this cable however it's a perfect match and makes it sounding noticably better than with stock (soundstage, clarity, bass definition)

You basicly need cable with plugs of the size of typical IEM cables without any additional thickness, such as for example would be bundled with portable FiiO amps, unfortunately they don't seem to sell much of such very thin tips kind of cables separately. 

Or maybe there's screw-on tips available somewhere too, that would be nice but it seems hard to find that would suit exactly Q40.

They have to sell those Monoprice 8323 cables separately. Why else would they make them detachable?

May 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 13
Just got off a text chat with Monoprice.

According to them, this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9298&seq=1&format=2

Is a replacement cable for the Monoprice thin cable included with the Monoprice 8323. I'll order it and see if it fits.

May 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 13
Well I hope the picture used is wrong in that case and it certainly isn't white either lol. But it looks like it may fit depending on how long the part that is just slightly thicker than the pin itself, it needs to be no more than this size to fit in there in the screw-hole so if this part is deep enough, equally deep as the threaded part on the Q40 stock cable then it should fit.

Anyway let us know, I may get a one in that case too.

May 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Well I hope the picture used is wrong in that case and it certainly isn't white either lol. But it looks like it may fit depending on how long the part that is just slightly thicker than the pin itself, it needs to be no more than this size to fit in there in the screw-hole so if this part is deep enough, equally deep as the threaded part on the Q40 stock cable then it should fit.

Anyway let us know, I may get a one in that case too.

Alright, I'll update this thread when I receive the Monoprice cable (and my Q40s! That's the worst part about having good headphoens. Everyone just wants to "borrow" them for a bit).

May 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 13
I received this cable today:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9298&seq=1&format=2

I must apologize for my earlier post. It fits perfectly!!! Good replacement cable!!

This should work too according to Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021812&p_id=5583&seq=1&format=2

So I now have a spare cable. That's awesome. Sure, it's white, but I think it contrasts nicely with the Q40 being Silver and Black.

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 13
lubczyk, 

Sorry to revive this thread from the dead but I am looking at purchasing that cable for my Q40s too and I just found this thread. Can you post a pic of how it fits/looks installed in yours?

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
lubczyk, 

Sorry to revive this thread from the dead but I am looking at purchasing that cable for my Q40s too and I just found this thread. Can you post a pic of how it fits/looks installed in yours?

I don't own the M-Audio Q40 anymore due to build issues.

I bought this cable when I did have it:

Didn't fit very well. It kept falling out. My advice is to use the default cable that comes with the Q40 or buy a replacement cable from M-Audio when/if that one breaks.

My M-Audio Q40 broke twice within a week so I hadn't bothered with them since.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 13
Thank you Lubczyk and Tattare..

This gives me something to work with at least. Lubczyk, what exactly broke on yours?

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Thank you Lubczyk and Tattare..
This gives me something to work with at least. Lubczyk, what exactly broke on yours?

On my first pair the audio cut out on the left side when a metal piece fell out of the input on the left cup of the headphones. On the second pair, the left side stopped playing audio without having the default cable removed.

The headband was also scratched and scoffed on both pairs due to the packaging used. Seriously, among the worst packaged headphones I've ever had the displeasure of owning. Both pairs used the new packaging which was supposed to prevent scratching and scoffing of the headband.

They're not bad headphones, for they sound quite good for the price, there are some bad design choices used in their construction. For another example, the two protruding wires tend to get stuck in the folding mechanism.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 13
For the sake of records:

These work well for me: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IN09GO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
However the cable is a little rigid and may not be long enough for everyone's liking.

I ordered these too because of their great reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LTEUDO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01
These DID NOT fit for me. Just barely didn't make it into the headphone deep enough. If I could find a way to wear it down just a tiny bit I think it would work, but they're made of high quality metal so I don't know how I'd do that. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back