Help me leave the early 2000's!
Jun 24, 2020 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MikeM

100+ Head-Fier
Since the early 2000’s, I’ve enjoyed my Senn. 580’s, ASL MG-head mk III, and Sony NS500V SACD player. Now that I’m working from home and will be doing so at least part time for years to come, I’m getting a lot more than occasional evening use.

I’ve been a Mac user for many years, including using iTunes since it was released. I still buy CDs for albums I really like and rip to Apple lossless (most of my collection was ripped 128 AAC way back though). I also use Google Music (since I get it “free" because I pay to remove YouTube ads). My iTunes collection is fully rated and I use the ratings to help make playlists.

In considering a change, I grabbed an RCA-headphone cable and ran the headphone out of my MacBook Pro into the amp. It was underwhelming, as expected.

I’ve been doing lots of searching and learning to see what the latest tech is. I’ve looked USB DACs to improve the output from the MBP. I’ve looked at cloud storage possibilities to store all of my files (I would re-rip everything to lossless) and potentially stream them. I’m not excited about the idea of needing more/larger physical storage, so a cloud option is interesting.

Where I would like to end up:
  1. Using iTunes to play my purchased music, so I can control it from the laptop while I work and use all of my existing ratings and playlists.
  2. Have the files stored somewhere that I feel is safer than something like an SSD. Cloud through a major provider seems like it’ll always be there and I can access it from other places.
  3. Have the sound at least as good as what I’m currently getting.
  4. Spend in the 100’s of dollars to get this.

I’d like help with #2, as it relates to the other items. I couldn’t find, so maybe it doesn’t exist, a way to have cloud storage with iTunes playback. Maybe the cloud storage is just the backup for when the drive fails.

I’d like help understanding if I’m likely to be happy with #3 if I use lossless files and a USB DAC that costs in the 100’s.

And certainly if there’s something I missed in my research, I’d love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back