Help Me Leave Head-Fi!
Nov 13, 2004 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

meesha

100+ Head-Fier
I need help finding headphones so I can leave this god forsaken place.
In my time here I have gone from, mx400 to v6 to dt250-80 to portapro2 to ex51 to sr60 to E2c to fc7 to a500.
I cannot take it anymore! I just want decent full sized closed home phones to use unamped. The closest one I came to leaving this place was the dt250's but couldn't deal with the comfort. I am keeping the sr60 as a fun phone, Keeping the portas as cheap travel, E2's as my travel canals. Everything else I can live without, but that leaves me without a good home set.
I mostly listen to rock, with a fair amount of electronica.
I need something that has some energy.
I thought a500's would fit my bill but they are too laid back for my tastes.
All these constant buyings are driving me nuts, not to metion my wallet and all the time I sit here in these forums.
Help me out here!
Or am I destined to suffer until I cut my ears off?

Nov 13, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Sennheiser HD595s? HD555s? HD515s??

He said closed phone. I haven't heard any, so I'm just thread crapping.
biggrin.gif

As for leaving head-fi, many have tried, few have succeeded.

Nov 13, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 39
I was just going to recommend the 770/80s or the A900s.

The A900s have less bass, but a more balanced sound.

The 770s, as you probably know if you've ready any thread on them, have more bass, but the mids seem to be sacrificed a little for it.

They both are a blast to listen to IMHO, and I wouldn't begin to describe either of them as "laid back" (although, FWIW I fcking loved my Senn 600s (the quintessential "laid back" phone), too, so I wouldn't say my opinion lends itself well to saying any good phone puts me to sleep- that's the job of the music itself).

Nov 13, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 39
Hey I just quit smoking!
I can quit anything! (lol)
(actually I probably should invest in an amp...AHHHH!)

Anyway If anyone wants me to make a comprehensive under $100 headphones review, I think I already hit most of the major ones.
Just help me with my problem!

Nov 13, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

(actually I probably should invest in an amp...AHHHH!)

You won't like hearing this, but for someone discovering nicer phones, an amp will make almost as big a difference as any phone you buy. The difference in sound is truly dramatic.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by meesha
All these constant buyings are driving me nuts, not to metion my wallet and all the time I sit here in these forums.
Help me out here!
Or am I destined to suffer until I cut my ears off?

BWAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA! You shall NEVER leave! You have been infected with a virus, a disease, one which cannot be cured as long as you can hear. Once you buy these new headphones, you'll want to maximize the sound, so you'll return for an amp. And then you'll read about the new FOTM, which sounds like God's gift to ears. And the cycle will start again. And you know what I say is true.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I haven't heard any, so I'm just thread crapping.

Same. I just couldn't pass up someone foolishly claiming they could leave after just one more purchase.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 39
Damn You!!!!
I take it you probably won't work at a drug clinic anytime soon.

I'll try the dt770's tommorrow at guitar center, I have a feeling the mids aren't what I would like but....

I am such a victim of the FOTM.

THAT'S WHY I MUST LEAVE THIS CURSED PLACE!!!!!!

(hey what's a good amp for me to get started on?)
rolleyes.gif

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 39
The DT770/80 are really good (and definately are not laid back, though I haven't heard Grados yet so I can't really give you any reference point), but IMHO they need the right amp and source to really shine (they behave more like phones in the $250-$400 range than the sub-$200 price you can get them at). Right now an iPod Mini I have access to over the weekend is sounding great with them, and when my Headsave Classic returns I think that my EMU 0404 will be great (my CHA47, which I'm using until the HSC arrives again, doesn't synergise at all with them). As a starter setup an EMU 0404 with a Headsave Go-Vibe or Home-Vibe (preferably with AD8620 opamp) would be great.

EDIT: Quote:

Originally Posted by meesha
(hey what's a good amp for me to get started on?)

See my answer above. Also, what is your source?

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 39
Cool to know that it works with the ipod well.

AHHH why did you have to suggest the amp?!
I was being sarcastic!
(Hey how does a headsave compare with an sr-71 or minty amp?)

DAMN YOU!!!

I love the way you guys recommend stuff.
Them - "I need $100 headphones"
You - "Well try the _ _ _ _ _"
Them "Those are $200 dollars?"
You - "But they are SOOOO much better!"
Them - "Ummm Okay..."

Evil!!!!!

Sorry for my ranting. I'm just a little p.o.'ed because my friend just got back from japan with my AT's and I thought they were gonna solve my problems but they didn't!

Thanks for listening.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 39
The DT770's are great cans, but unamped they aren't even close to what they can do. They also really improved with a cable upgrade. For some music I like them more than the SR325's, despite being less detailed, as their presentation really works well with metal.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 39
stock sony buds

now get the hell outa here boy!

Nov 13, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #14 of 39
Hey Hugz,
i wish it were that easy...

Once you've tasted the forbidden fruit...well you know.

Sometimes google can be a bad thing.

Nov 13, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #15 of 39
Are you familiar with the term "event horizon"? You passed it about a mile before you registered for Head-Fi.

Decent closed cans that can be used unamped? Tough requirements. The DT250-250 are my favorites, but you ruled those out. I can see why, since they are pretty small.

How about canal phones? There are a lot of options there.

You might like the Ultrasone HFI650 or HFI700. Gonzo bass, but the upper treble is boosted as well. Great at low levels, but they can kill at higher levels.

I didn't like the DT770 pros (250 ohm). Waaaay overboosted bass and lumpy response. Voiced for very loud environments, I think.

Other than that, better save up for an amp.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back