help me learn the guitar?
Mar 10, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #31 of 41
I just spent the better half of a week agonizing over what kind of guitar to buy. Originally , I was gonna go with a bass, but after a buddy at work brought in his 6 string acoustic, i came to the conclusion that maybe a 6 string would be more versatile. So then it became, what kind of sound signature did I really like? I went back and forth between Gibson/Les Paul, Fender/Strats and Telecasters, Ibanez, Washburn ... Finally today i pulled the trigger on this gorgeous Amber colored Quilted Maple Stratocaster style.

Hurry Up USPS!!!

Amberquilted.jpg

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #32 of 41
HOLY SCHNIKIES. Now that's a nice first axe! She won't let you down for certain. Now go and fire up those chops!

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just thinking about how ide like to get a hobby i can work at like the this. Im a huge Blues fan so would the eletric guitar be a lot harder to learn then the acoustic? I just find that i like the sound of eletric better.

Electric is easier on your hands to start off. They generally have less tension on the strings, and the strings themselves are thinner. If you plan on playing acoustic afterwards, I'd suggest learning on one, but otherwise invest your time and money in electric.

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #35 of 41
I'm very fortunate to have a musically talented family that can tell me when I'm playing out of tune or when I need to change my strings, lol.

I never thought about playing the guitar as a child, but when I was in middleschool, I decided I wanted to play the mandolin. Well, I never got a mandolin so when I moved in with my aunt and uncle after high school I figured learning the guitar would help if I got a chance to play the mandolin later on in life. That particular uncle is an extremely gifted guitar player that helped me get my feet wet with the guitar and also gave me my first guitar (An American Strat with EMG golds and a sweet Kahler bridge).

He has a very organic approach to teaching guitar. He told me to forget reading tabs and looking up chords on the net, and focus on developing my ear. When I was playing a lot that really started to benefit but once I backed off of my playing it made it difficult to pick up where I left off. I must say that I developed an ability to hear melodies, pitch, and feeling far beyond what most of my guitar player buddies have. The drawback to this is that I know very few songs because it takes so much longer to pick up a song by ear (at my current level) than it does for an average person to learn a song from tabs. Hopefully someday I'll be able to pick up the riffs and lead rides in most any song in a couple of hours (like my uncle does).

**EDIT**
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electric is easier on your hands to start off. They generally have less tension on the strings, and the strings themselves are thinner. If you plan on playing acoustic afterwards, I'd suggest learning on one, but otherwise invest your time and money in electric.

Or you can buy an acoustic and put electric strings on it. That's the beez-neez for learning, if you ask me. When I was learning chords and rhythym I was greatful to have an acoustic guitar available. Electric's are fine to learn on, but I just liked the convienience of the acoustic.

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #36 of 41
Thanks man. What do you guys think of gutiar center? There is one in town and i was thinking about going up there to check it all out and maybe find someone who can teach me. Is there an easier way to find people who do lessons?

Mar 11, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you can buy an acoustic and put electric strings on it. That's the beez-neez for learning, if you ask me. When I was learning chords and rhythym I was greatful to have an acoustic guitar available. Electric's are fine to learn on, but I just liked the convienience of the acoustic.

There's no harm in this as long as you make sure the truss rod is adjusted properly. If you like the sound of bronze-wound strings (as acoustics usually use) you can get them in smaller gauges for a more electric feel instead of using electric (usually nickel wound) strings.

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1: Learn chords G, C, D
2: ???
3: Profit!!!

wink.gif

Absolutely, there ain't no profit above the 3rd fret
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no harm in this as long as you make sure the truss rod is adjusted properly. If you like the sound of bronze-wound strings (as acoustics usually use) you can get them in smaller gauges for a more electric feel instead of using electric (usually nickel wound) strings.

If you're concerned about great tone then I wouldn't put electric strings on. Good acoustic strings make a big difference. But, I have an old cheapy Fender acoustic guitar that I just have around for others to play, or to casually play while I'm watching TV and such, that I put some Ernie Ball Super Slinkys® (9-11-16-24w-32-42) on. It makes bending much easier
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put some Ernie Ball Super Slinkys® (9-11-16-24w-32-42) on. It makes bending much easier
smily_headphones1.gif

I remember the day I switched from Jazz strings (13) back to light gauge. I could bend barre chords.

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaseJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks man. What do you guys think of gutiar center? There is one in town and i was thinking about going up there to check it all out and maybe find someone who can teach me. Is there an easier way to find people who do lessons?

you're in Michigan - perhaps near the U of Mich? can find plenty of college kids ready to teach you for pennies a pop. if you're in Detroit, probably tons of local musicians there to take private lessons from as well. I'd use Guitar Center to try out some axes, and then go buy from somewhere that will at least go down to 40% off list, and will toss in a tuneup for free as well. Maybe the GC will do that too if you ask, but make certain your axe hasn't been manhandled, as is the pattern at those big box stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back