help me learn the guitar?
Feb 23, 2007 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
my dad gave me his old acoustic so i'm jumping to learn. suggestions of where to start? anything online? should i just go out and get a introductory book?

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 41
Well, I would have suggested OLGA:

You can search youtube for some video clips from people. I know I've done that with learning bass.

http://www.activeguitar.com/
I go to activebass.com as well for some quick and easy beginner lessons.

http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

Hopefully some more knowledgeable people will have better advice than my own. Honestly, I'm not good at guitar or bass (I really should practice more). Just trying to point you to free helpful resources.
wink.gif
Just stick with it and keep playing. Sooner or later you'll start to feel more comfortable and it'll all start to fall into place. Play and have fun. =)

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my dad gave me his old acoustic so i'm jumping to learn. suggestions of where to start? anything online? should i just go out and get a introductory book?

As for myself. I learned most of it from books and other people. Playing in bands etc.

Feb 23, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 41
The best and easiest way to learn is by learning songs

Just think of a song with chords and google it eg- 'house of rising sun chords'
You'll learn chords and be singing along as well
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best and easiest way to learn is by learning songs

Just think of a song with chords and google it eg- 'house of rising sun chords'
You'll learn chords and be singing along as well
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For kicks:
http://www.guitarshredshow.com/
(The mountain of the tapping dwarves > Jam)

I agree with some of the previous posts; the best way is to pick a few songs you want to learn and get online tabs for them.

With respect to these members, learning guitar by learning songs is going to almost guarantee that you'll hit a wall in your playing later on that you don't need to. The most important part is learning your fundamentals first, like hand positioning and proper technique. Once these are down pat, not only will learning songs be easier, but you won't have to try and correct bad habits years down the road.

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With respect to these members, learning guitar by learning songs is going to almost guarantee that you'll hit a wall in your playing later on that you don't need to. The most important part is learning your fundamentals first, like hand positioning and proper technique. Once these are down pat, not only will learning songs be easier, but you won't have to try and correct bad habits years down the road.

yup!

try fingering excercises and alternate picking and all the simple stuff. Its best if you have a teacher so you dont get into any bad habits

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its best if you have a teacher so you dont get into any bad habits

Seriously. Even if you want to learn and teach yourself, get a good teacher for 2 or 3 months so you have a solid beginning. From the teacher's perspective (since I used to teach) it's frustrating trying to break bad habits because the students want to keep moving forward, and from the player's perspective (since I had to break my own bad habits) it's SO much easier to learn properly the first time.

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by toastmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do (grudgingly) agree with you about developing good technique. I did spend a few years learning classical guitar when I was quite young. I didn't enjoy it at that time as I had no appreciation whatsoever for classical music and preferred learning songs that I heard on the radio. In retrospect I guess I do have quite a good foundation and I've built on that to teach myself new techniques. I still get a kick out of teaching myself something new, whether it's a song or a new fingerstyle technique.

The stuff I can play now is 80% self taught, but I have to admit that my development would have been a lot worse had I not had those classical lessons. (Hope my mum doesn't read this
icon10.gif
)

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 41
i am the worst when it comes to technique. mostly self taught with a few nuggets tossed at me by dormfolks in college. my attack angle is all wrong with the right hand, and i use my thumb with the left, and i can't barre worth a crap with A-chords (damn you, double jointed people!) i am fluid with NO scales, so forget being eddie van halen, and the only thing i can do is chunk along with big blocky chords. heck, i haven't even done an alternate tuning in 10 years! i used to take classes at the Con with a classical prof that probably hated my guts!

but hey, i enjoy it, and that's what counts. there are two kinds of walls - the kind that encourages you to push through, and the discouraging type that makes you lose interest. for instance, i'm all for learning Tears in Heaven if you enjoy it, since that kind of coordination is going to help you with other tunes. hammer-on, baby!

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but hey, i enjoy it, and that's what counts. there are two kinds of walls - the kind that encourages you to push through, and the discouraging type that makes you lose interest. for instance, i'm all for learning Tears in Heaven if you enjoy it, since that kind of coordination is going to help you with other tunes. hammer-on, baby!

Very true. I still think my point about learning fundamentals first is important, though. There are two ways to learn Stairway (which I think every guitarist has wanted to do at some point.) The first is by memorizing each note (no technique) and the other is realizing that it's all arpeggiated chords (with technique, and MUCH easier.) I had the "pleasure" of teaching myself Stairway before I had technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back