Help Me I've got $350
Jul 13, 2010 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TheDudeAbides

New Head-Fier
Hey audiophiles
I need help, I currently own Audio technica ATH-ANC7b and they are brilliant for noise cancelling but I don't really need that anymore I don't travel much these days.
 These are my favourite artists can anyone recommend a good pair of headphones for me? Tom Waits, Josh Ritter, Nina Simone, Jamie Lidell, The National, Sufjan Stevens, Nick Cave, Dr. John, Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen etc. I've got about $350 to spend I prefer over ear open cans. Help me!

Jul 13, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 2
Do you have an amp?  If you do, there are some great headphones in that range that play that music well--great taste, by the way.

You might like the Grado sound, but it's a bit thin in the bottom end for stuff like Jamie Lidell.  Still, they do hauntingly wonderful things with vocals and acoustic instruments.  They are still the best I've ever heard Sufjan Stevens.

If you do have an amp, you might want to look at the Beyer DT880 or DT990, depending on whether you want mid-focused detail, or rip-roaring musicality.

With your choices, I don't think I'd recommend Sennheisers.  They have a warmer sound that won't really go with that music as well (at least, that's what I've found with very similar taste).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back