Help me : iPod and Sennheiser problem
Aug 8, 2005 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

edgler vess

New Head-Fier
I´ve just bought the Sennheiser HD202 headphones for my iPod but I´m getting a LOWER output level compared to the apple iPod in-ear headphones.

Why ?

Is this about the greater the sensitivity of a headphone, the higher the volume level produced by a headphone ?

or

with low impedance headphones you get more volume for a given voltage ?

or

is it just because the apple iPod headphones are in-ear ?

Probably different headphones require different volume levels, based on impedance level. My sennheiser require almost 100% volume !

So ... which headphones require a say, 50%-60% volume on the iPod ?

I am confused and now I´m looking on what headphones to buy ... again !!

Thanks in advance

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 9
The answer is to buy a portable amp and spend more money in true head-fi tradition
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by edgler vess
I´ve just bought the Sennheiser HD202 headphones for my iPod but I´m getting a LOWER output level compared to the apple iPod in-ear headphones.

Why ?

Is this about the greater the sensitivity of a headphone, the higher the volume level produced by a headphone ?

or

with low impedance headphones you get more volume for a given voltage ?

or

is it just because the apple iPod headphones are in-ear ?

Probably different headphones require different volume levels, based on impedance level. My sennheiser require almost 100% volume !

So ... which headphones require a say, 50%-60% volume on the iPod ?

I am confused and now I´m looking on what headphones to buy ... again !!

Thanks in advance

Actually, what I've found about Sennheiser headphones is that they use a different method of rating sensitivity than most other companies. Most companies use a "power sensitivity" or "efficiency" rating, measured in dB @ 1mW. Sennheiser, on the other hand, uses a "voltage sensitivity" rating, usually measured in dB @ 1Vrms for full-sized headphones (or 0.5Vrms for small portable headphones; the HD202 is considered "full-sized"). And 1Vrms will result in different power ratings, depending on the nominal impedance rating of the headphones.

Right now, there are no good headphones that can produce adequately loud sound at only 50%-60% volume; the only ones which exist all go completely inside the ears. Furthermore, converted to dB @ 1mW, that HD202 produces a "power sensitivity" rating of only 100dB @ 1mW -- noticeably lower than what most earbuds produce.

Aug 9, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 9
I even find the px100 a bit on the low side which is quite funny since they are supposed to be aimed at the portable market (I thought) but they need quite a lot of volume to push the sound up to listenable levels in comparison to many other portable phones.

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 9
I would goto Headphone.com and look at the headphones there. See the rating on the headphones and see which ones are in you price range. Also see if they can be powered by the ipod and not an amp. Grado 60s ($70 )would be the one I would suggest. Need to pay alittle more to get into a entry level quality headphone. That or the (froogle search) PX100s($40). Both I have had and liked. Grado would be my first choice. And you could get them used in here in the used section of the forum.

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #8 of 9
Thats interesting....
I just bought some used HD280s and am surprised. I was also expecting more umph out of em given their impedence and sensitivity spec. To top it off, they are a very melow can, very layed back sound signature.

Garrett

Aug 9, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 9
Try Sony MDR-V6 or Audio Technica ATh-A500 or A900. When I've tried, I get pretty descent volume and sound quality from those phones at 50-60% of volume level (exception for very quiet classical recordings).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back