help me improve my portable rig
Sep 4, 2007 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

adrockthewalrus

Head-Fier
Long time lurker, first time poster,

A friend pointed out to me that I spend a fortune on computer bits and bobs which i use 2-3 hours a day and then scrimp and scrounge my way through my audio stuff which i use probably 8+ hours a day. So in the spirit of self-improvement i staretd looking at getting some betetr ehadphones.

This was a efw months ago.
My previous players:
Creative Zen NX 30GB + included buds
Zen Xtra 60GB + included buds (insurance replacement when i lost the first one)
Ipod 5g + included buds
Ipod 5g + Senn PX200's
Ipod 5g + Senn CX300's

All very mediocre im sure you'll agree.

Having browsed about for a while, it became obvious my existing choices aren't up to scratch much (that and hearing some firends grado sr80's) so i thgouth i'd upgrade.

ultimately, i've now got one of these: http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=7
and am waiting on a PA2V2 and some Alessandro MS-1's

This should obviously provide me with a very noticeable increase in quality (coupled with slowly rebuilding my music collection from varying states into FLAC).

Beyond this, where do I go? The obvious thing I think is replacing the 5g ipod with somehting a bit better. As my needs ahve changed (previously i used my music on veyr long train journeys, holidays or whatnot) to short commutes to work and back, I've started looking at smaller flash based players with good SQ and FLAC support. So far the forerunner appears to be the cowon iaudio 7.

Will the cowon still see a benefit of me using the PA2V2?

Obviously I may want a better amp someway down the line, is the total bithead significantly better? (I may also be looking at a better solution for listening from my desktop pc or form my laptop so this has other obvious benefits).

Clearly i may wait to see what gets released tomorrow, and then if there are any obvious improvements people come up with for them (i'd consider an imod, but modding my existing one when it's 2 years old and scuffed to hell already seems silly).

Which rbings me to my final point, I keep my ipod in a soft leather wallet case i got opff ebay for it. it's veyr compact, protects it form bigger scratches but sadly the seams ont he elather on the inside have left lines of scuff marks. Is there a simple way to buff these out ebfore getting a enw case, or am i betetr looking at some kind of paintjob, and what would people recomend?

thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back