Help me improve my audio chain
Apr 20, 2020 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Semper HiFi

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to decide what the next best step is to improve my listening experience. I primarily use headphones and my audio chain currently looks like this:
AK100ii>Lyr3>Atticus

I noticed a huge difference when I upgraded to the Atticus from my Meze 99s. My previous amp was a Project Ember II, and I noticed a minor (but definitely noticeable) improvement when I switched to the Lyr3. I am now considering buying a dedicated DAC to use in place of my AK100ii.

Would the most cost effective step up be to switch to a desktop DAC? Or do you think I would notice more of a difference by refining my Amp/Headphone pairing? For what it's worth I think the chip in the AK100ii is pretty reasonable and there's nothing in particular I dislike about the sound presentation. The AK100ii does not have a dedicated line out so technically I am double amping... Not sure how much of an effect this has on sound quality.

The three options that I am considering (from least to most expensive):
Pick up a few more tubes to roll
Get a different mid-price amplifier to try out
Upgrade to a dedicated DAC

I have a feeling that I would notice the biggest difference with a desktop DAC but perhaps someone with more experience than I could chime in. How noticeable of a difference might I perceive If I switched to a nice desktop DAC like the Schiit Bifrost? Should I do this first before getting carried away trying to find the perfect tube or amp pairing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back