Help me identify my dads Nikon :D
Feb 6, 2007 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

WhatMACHI

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, i just popped over to my dad's house this avo, and realised he found his old camera, begging him i brought it home (he prefers simpler stuff anyway) muahahha!

Anyone here able to help me identify what model the camera and lens is? Also on the lense there are two things that turn, one focuses, and i got no idea what the other one does, anyone care to help me out ?
biggrin.gif

CIMG4908.jpg

CIMG4910.jpg

CIMG4912.jpg

CIMG4911.jpg

CIMG4913.jpg

Feb 6, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 16
I think the lens is 50mm f/1.8 AI-S. It's a very good lens (doesn't cost much but works great), make sure you don't sell the lens.

The two rings, one is aperture ring, the other is focusing ring. Aperture ring is to adjust - well, aperture; if you need to find out more about aperture or camera metering and such, just google it, plenty of free information available. Should get you enough to understand the basic.

Good thing about DSLR, you can use it without knowing much of how it works and still able to get good results from it.

PS: Does your dad by any chance got a lens called Nikkor 58mm 1.2 Noct? I will buy you a new Senn HD650 for that.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks goodness for google
biggrin.gif

About the Nikkor lens, i very much doubt it. Since i was young this is about the most complex piece of camera they had
frown.gif
I dont know of him owning any other gadgets or lenses for this camera
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatMACHI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now i gota get some film for this thing :p Hopefully i can grab a D40/D50 sometime soon ^_^

Enjoy! You've got a very nice find there! The manual Nikon camera/lenses are a great film combo; just keep in mind that you'll actually lose some metering features if you move to an entry level Nikon DSLR. I'd recommend snagging maybe some quality MF lenses first and then save longer for a DSLR like the D200 that will offer non-CPU lens data. This way, you'll see if you are serious about photography and you'll have a couple of great lenses, as well. Or, just save for a D50 with kit lens, which will be just a digital equivalent of what you have, with a far different look and feel.
50 f/1.8 review
Nikon lens reviews

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 16
Same here. I have one of those from 20 years back as well from my dad.

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the lens is 50mm f/1.8 AI-S. It's a very good lens (doesn't cost much but works great), make sure you don't sell the lens.

The two rings, one is aperture ring, the other is focusing ring. Aperture ring is to adjust - well, aperture; if you need to find out more about aperture or camera metering and such, just google it, plenty of free information available. Should get you enough to understand the basic.

Good thing about DSLR, you can use it without knowing much of how it works and still able to get good results from it.

PS: Does your dad by any chance got a lens called Nikkor 58mm 1.2 Noct? I will buy you a new Senn HD650 for that.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I had that lens on the Nikon FG my mom handed down to me. I liked it so much I kept using it when I got my N90s. It really is good, and yours looks to be in great shape (although I can't see the glass... you should check for scratches on the outside and fungus in the lens elements and camera body).

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad its not a vintage model like F3hp or FM2. On this one you cant even change the speed, just change the aperture.

Eh..? The EM was released 3 years earlier than the FM2, 1979 vs 1982. Shouldn't it be vintage too?
confused.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh..? The EM was released 3 years earlier than the FM2, 1979 vs 1982. Shouldn't it be vintage too?
confused.gif

No i meant too bad it doesnt give you full control on exposure. Its like having an old pair of Grados in 2030. I would rather have the RS-1 than the SR-60.

Feb 6, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No i meant too bad it doesnt give you full control on exposure. Its like having an old pair of Grados in 2030. I would rather have the RS-1 than the SR-60.

Oh.. aha. How much dyou reckon one will go for?
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had that lens on the Nikon FG my mom handed down to me. I liked it so much I kept using it when I got my N90s. It really is good, and yours looks to be in great shape (although I can't see the glass... you should check for scratches on the outside and fungus in the lens elements and camera body).

Well i had a look inside and there is a litttllleee bit of dust on the mirror, and heres a pic of the lense, no scratches (just dust) but the lense seems to have gotten a bit murky on the edges?

CIMG4915.jpg

EDIT: Omg i realised lense type is on the front bahaha!
Also, if i wanted to clean the mirrior what should i be using?? a q-tip with some alcohol??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back