Help me ID this Sony earphone...
Sep 9, 2008 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fourteen

New Head-Fier
Hey yall, today I was browsing around Best Buy and noticed that Sony has a few new (to me) earphones out. I was interested in some Sony earphones, though I cant remember model name at all. I checked bestbuy.com and sony's website, but haven't seen them anywhere.

I recall the model number having a 'V' and possibly a '36' in it. The phones had volume control, as well as a cord retractor. It came with 3 sleeve sizes as well. Its packaging was plastic, and was pretty small and slender. If I recall correctly, they were $21.99

If anyone has any impressions of these earphones please do tell. That's ultimately what I'm after.

Thanks!

Sep 9, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by fourteen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey yall, today I was browsing around Best Buy and noticed that Sony has a few new (to me) earphones out. I was interested in some Sony earphones, though I cant remember model name at all. I checked bestbuy.com and sony's website, but haven't seen them anywhere.

I recall the model number having a 'V' and possibly a '36' in it. The phones had volume control, as well as a cord retractor. It came with 3 sleeve sizes as well. Its packaging was plastic, and was pretty small and slender. If I recall correctly, they were $21.99

If anyone has any impressions of these earphones please do tell. That's ultimately what I'm after.

Thanks!

I found this one:
Sony - Fontopia Ear Bud Headphones - Silver - MDRE829V

Sep 9, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 6
lewislink, thanks for your help but it seems those aren't the 'phones I was looking at. At just $23.99, I decided to just pick them up at Best Buy today.

It turns out the model name is MDR-EX36V, theres close to no info on web on these!

I was running errands out-of-town today, and checked a Best Buy about 20 miles away from my house. To my surprise, they weren't available there. So I went back to the BB next to my place to pick them up.

2844305236_238f02949e.jpg

For just $23.99, these came with 3 silicone sleeves, a cloth pouch and a cord adjuster

2844304968_20e1dded58.jpg

Volume control

I'll be comparing these to the EX-51LPs

I've listened to them for about 1.5 hours now, and I'm pretty pleased with them. I don't consider myself to have a "trained" ear, I'm just a cheapskate who does some research before buying my electronics. With the lack of info on these, I was curious.

Fresh out the box, the most impressionable aspect of these earphones is that they are not nearly as harsh/sibilant as the MDR-EX51LP... which I bought for 50 bucks! Boy did those 'phones give me headaches.

I don't have any sophisticated sources, so I'm basing this on an ipod-shuffle and my laptop. That considered, I think the phones do pretty well. The bass is strong (I've yet to determine if it's very accurate), though not bloated like the EX-51LPs. The mids and highs are OK, I only found certain cymbal crashes to be a bit offensive. However, they're a huge improvement over the EX-51LPs. I really enjoy how the EX36Vs handle guitar strums, I'm satisfied with the detail. (I'm listening to some David Bowie, fyi).

I liken the EX-51LPs to be like listening to music through a paper cup. I think I hate those phones.

The fit is improved as well. I usually used the smallest sleeve size for the EX-51LPs, but with the medium size I got a comfortable fit and nice seal. I don't think the isolation is very good, though. I still hear my television as I'm typing this up.

For just $23.99, I am happy. For those who have more experience with headphones (especially high-end), pick these up... they're cheap! I'd really like to know an "expert" take on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back