Help Me Help a Friend - Street-Style/Portable On-Ear ~$50
Apr 4, 2012 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

the_dong146

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, as the title states I'm trying to help a friend out with a new headphone pick.  Definitely would not consider him an audiophile, but he can appreciate an improvement in quality.

On my recommendation, several years ago, he purchased a set of iGrados and has loved them since. Unknown to me he's actually replaced them 3 times due to cabling issues (I guess he's kind of rough with his headphones), with the latest set just going out today.  As it's been several years - I was wondering if anyone has any alternative suggestions, specifically in the street style.  Despite my best attempts he remains resistant to the idea of any sort of earphone etc.

In terms of criteria, price would be around $50 an improvement in build quality (could probably go higher in price w/ appropriate guarantee) would apparently be definitely appreciated.  Once again, street style is definitely preferred (no earphones).  Music genre listened to varies greatly, but is definitely mostly considered indie/alternative rock.

Thanks!

Edit: After looking around, with no success, will also definitely consider smaller, on-ear headphones (open or closed).  With these fit would be important as I believe he does use them at the gym as well

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 5
Bump - Open to on-ear headphones as well now - if portable/usable at the gym. Thanks again

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 5
The $13 JVC HA-S160 sounds great. It is my favorite headphone under $40. it is very compact. It sounds very neutral. It is closed, but doesn't isolate well. if he really wants a street style headphone, he should consider the Koss Sportapro. It sounds almost exactly like the Portapro but is around half the price. The Sportapro is a convertible. The headband can be worn behind the neck, or over the head. Imo the HA-S160 sounds much better than the Sportapro.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 5
I find Koss KSC 75s are comfortable and sound great, but my Grados SR60i phones sound better. For out and about the KSC 75s are more than adequate and much less expensive. If your friend only wants one headphone, I'd say stick with iGrados. Also the Koss PortaPros which sound about the same as the 75s but a bit better. All Koss headphones have a lifetime warranty and Koss is good for that. Many consider Koss to be the best sounding for their price.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the recommendations guys - will run them by him - more definitely appreciated too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back