help me getting the most out of my dad's hi-fi
Jul 2, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did, every single one. can it be the amp? but the left one's low pass is ok. funny.

Odd.

Check fuses on the amps and the speakers. I think the speakers only have a fuse for the high frequency drivers, but it is worth a look.

Did you make any changes to the system prior to losing a channel? Adjust the crossover controls?

EDIT: If you find all fuses intact and think it is the amp, I seem to recall you have a big Adcom that isn't hooked up. You could sub it in for the bass amp and see if that solves the problem. If it does not solve it, the trouble is further up or down the chain.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #18 of 31
Man you got an SP-10 one of the very best DD decks out there! Serious quality! and those speakers! First thing to do is clean it all.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #19 of 31
only once. six months ago when i left the system it sounded a bit unbalanced but i didnt dare to disturb anything. when i returned i dared myself to and i found that the very same drivers weren't functioning. when i checked it, the problem is in the banana plug. i replaced that and the speakers are working properly.

i replaced the amp with the adcoms. it runs properly. so then the problem is on that particular amp.

thanks for the quick hand, fallsroad.

Jul 2, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

i replaced the amp with the adcoms. it runs properly. so then the problem is on that particular amp.

thanks for the quick hand, fallsroad.

You are welcome.

Which amp was the problem?

Jul 5, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #23 of 31
The right amp fuses blew. And there's a bit of static electricity when I touched the amp. So I need to just replace the fuses, no?

The funny thing with my adcom is whenever I ended my session and turn everything off, the bass drivers will pump for a few times before going completely silent. The bass pounds even seconds after the whole system is being turn off. The adcom amp's led will remain lit for a few seconds after it was turned off then slowly fades out, and I suspect that it sends some signals while doing so. This seems to be the amp's character IIRC. Is it healthy to the speakers?

Jul 5, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

The right amp fuses blew. And there's a bit of static electricity when I touched the amp. So I need to just replace the fuses, no?

The funny thing with my adcom is whenever I ended my session and turn everything off, the bass drivers will pump for a few times before going completely silent. The bass pounds even seconds after the whole system is being turn off. The adcom amp's led will remain lit for a few seconds after it was turned off then slowly fades out, and I suspect that it sends some signals while doing so. This seems to be the amp's character IIRC. Is it healthy to the speakers?

The Adcom behavior is normal. It doesn't use a muting relay so as the power supply capacitors discharge, the amp remains powered for 15-30 seconds. No worries.

You should not be getting even a slight shock from the ARC amp just touching the chassis, unless it is extremely dry in the house. You can try replacing the fuse and see if it blows again. If it does, the amp needs to be seen by a competent technician.

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #25 of 31
I've finally got my hands on some fuses. The blown ones are 6A, and the new ones that I've got are 5A. But when I tried inserting them there was a contact sound like a slight thud coming from the corresponding drivers (everything rewired back to the original connections after a week of Adcom replacing the amp) and the power monitor lights up with the compass moving within the "safe operations" bar- this happens without any electricity powering the system.
Is it safe to continue?

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

I've finally got my hands on some fuses. The blown ones are 6A, and the new ones that I've got are 5A. But when I tried inserting them there was a contact sound like a slight thud coming from the corresponding drivers (everything rewired back to the original connections after a week of Adcom replacing the amp) and the power monitor lights up with the compass moving within the "safe operations" bar- this happens without any electricity powering the system.
Is it safe to continue?

The amps were not physically plugged in when this happened?

I'll be honest - I am not sure why that driver thump would occur. Nor am I able to say with confidence that everything is A-OK to run.

It occurs to me we have no idea why the fuses initially failed. The amp may operate normally, but if the fuses blow again its time to get a qualified technician involved.

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ftb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's an amazing bunch of equipment to inherit! Does anyone know what the tweeters are? They look like ribbons, but surely that's not the case?

Emit tweeters

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #29 of 31
Your SP10 mkII turntable has turned into quite a collector's item. There are threads on Audiogon, with pix, showing unbelievable custom plinths and other things people are building for these turntables, and then selling off their $70,000 Rockport and Walker turntables because they prefer the vintage Technics!
Here is a thread by one guy, Mike LaVigne
AudiogoN Forums: Siriusly, the room's the thing!
and here is the thread by the other guy, Albert Porter
AudiogoN Forums: Albert Porter Technics SP10 MK3 Project
Porter has done custom plinths for both the MkII and the MkIII, LaVigne I think just has the MkIII.
At any rate, you are in rareified company here! I'd certainly look into updating that TT and putting it into a new heavy wooden plinth!

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #30 of 31
Whoa, I didn't know that. That turntable has been sitting there gathering dust for like 15 years... Can't wait to go home and start toying around with vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back