Help me get the absolute best sound out of my new Hi2050s
Jun 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pcnoob101

New Head-Fier
I am eagerly waiting for the HI2050s that I just ordered from aliexpress to arrive!  I did a lot of research and found that these are the best budget phones I could get and only paid $50!! Can't wait.

In the meantime I am building a brand new pc.  I will mainly be using these phones with the PC as I have a pair of Vsonic GR06s that I use with my ipod when I'm out and about.

I wanted to know how to get the best sound possible out of my Hi2050s for use with my PC for under $100.  Should I get a sound card, or a separate headphones amp, or something else.  I am very noob when it comes to this so please speak in noob terms.  Also, I would like to know what I can do on the software side to really make these things shine.  Which media player, plugins, etc.  If it is worth the value to go over $100 please let me know that too.  Thanks!

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 9
Asus Xonar DG ($20-$30) or DGX ($30-45) sound card is about as much as you would want to spend for audio support for the Hi2050s.
The DG(X) comes with a decent DAC chip and a basic head amp. and Dolby Headphone surround sound.

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I definitely need something though right?  Would it be a noticeable difference instead of just plugging them into my motherboard?

Over the past few years motherboard on-board audio has been improving,
if the motherboard normal sells for less then $100, or is several years old, chance are the Xonar DG(X) would improve audio.
When your paying $200 or more, some on-board motherboard audio might include a dedicated headphone amplifier, that's better then the Xonar DG(X) amp.
So I can't say for sure, from motherboard to motherboard, if the Xonar DG(X) will make a noticeable difference.
But you can get a used Xonar DG for $20, so it's cheap to try.

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Thanks for the info.  How can I find out?  My motherboard is Asus z87-A.

Realtek ALC892 audio chip set and DTS software.
DTS should be helpful if you play Blu-ray movies on your PC.

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Do you think I should still get a dedicated sound card though?

You do not have to get the sound, you could just try with the headphones plugged straight into the motherboard first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back