help me get started
Feb 28, 2011 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kaneman890

Head-Fier
im trying to get started with some nicer audio equipment and i really dont know what all to look for, so im just looking for suggestions and guidelines for good reliable used stuff.  right now i have an old sansui rz-1900, that was my dads, thats starting to die out, and some cheap speakers. im looking to replace the receiver/amp, along with some nicer speakers. so what are some overall good speakers and amp/receivers to look for, for under $500.  and if they have some cool lights and dials thats a plus to
ksc75smile.gif

edit: i want to stay 2 channel and have something with a bit of power behind it

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 4
You want to go vintage?  Or more newer stuff?  If you want to go vintage $500 can go a long, long way.  Trust me.  If you want to go that route craigslist are full of nice gear.  In reality and if you're lucky you can have a nice system for $200.  50wpc from the 70s and 80s are more than enough to drive plenty of speakers.

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 4
Not really 70, 80's im looking more for like 90's I guess. What are some decent 10 to 15 year old 2 ch amps to look for? Also similar aged speakers, newer would be nice to if u think it can fit within my budget. And is there such a thing as an optical to RCA converter?

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 4
There is, don't know the pricing on those.  I know there are dacs that can be used for that, can't remember the name.  If you want 80s, I recommend 70s.  Amplifiers were much better built, same with speakers, from the 70s.  For 80s, all I can recommend are Luxman, Denon, Mitsubishi, and Aurex are some that comes to mind that made some decent 80s gear.  Technics made some interesting 80s speakers with their honeycomb stuff, pioneer had some good speakers too.  If you want american/canadian speakers there are tons of them and they made some excellent speakers, JBL, EPI, ADS, PSB, Energy, Mirage, Paisley, Rectinilear, Boston Acoustic, General Sounds are some that come to my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back