Help me get into other genres!
Aug 10, 2007 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I am a college student and all I listen to is rap and r & b. I have given other genres a try before but I always get discouraged because I don't really know where to start. I just want to try something new....and like it.lol

I am going on a trip on the 18th and I need to get some music from itunes. The only genres I think I cannot handle are country and heavy metal(no offense to anyone who likes this type of music). So I am looking for names of classic and well known songs that will not let me down!

Please list the artist and name of song and it's genre. I'll take this list, find the songs, and buy what I like. Thanks for the help in advance!

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 17
Depends where you wanna start. Classic rock? Funk/soul? Classical? Jazz?

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 17
Everything but country and heavy metal.

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 17
Start with the Beatles and work forward? I don't know, that's a whole lot of musical ground to cover.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 17
you have to try out some of the classics from different genres and see which one suits you more.... Coming from rap and r&b, you will probably like Groove based music, try some Funk, Classic rock, maybe a bit of Blues...that should be a good start.

As for band suggestions, try the older Red Hot Chili Pepper albums like Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Freakey Styley
Led Zeppelin II and IV, Beatles, The Doors ( try best of compilations first, its easier to get into)
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood, Best of compilations of Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, BB King...

Just a few names I could think of to represent some of the genres I mentioned earlier

Aug 10, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 17
Check out:

James Brown - anything off the 'In the Jungle Groove' album [Funk]
Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues [Soul]
Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze, Fire, Freedom, All Along the Watchtower [Classic/psychadelic rock]

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 17
Just some random stuff

Nirvana - Unplugged (if you haven't listened to this album, you haven't lived)
Radiohead - OK Computer (Rock)
Sigur Ros - () (Indie)
Mogwai-Come On Die Young (Indie)
Bill Evans - Sunday at Village Vanguard (Jazz)

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 17
Let's see, if I had lost all my music, this is what I'd re-buy first:

The Clash - London Calling (my favorite classic punk album)

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (highly important early alternative/"college rock")

Talking Heads - Remain in Light (80's new wave)

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (70s prog. Basically everybody has listened to it, so why not you?
tongue.gif
)

Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights (modern post-punk)

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing..... (sort of hip hop, but, uh, all samples. I can't explain it, just check it out)

Beck - Odelay

R.E.M. - Murmur

Without the iTunes restriction, I would also add:

Radiohead - Kid A
Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun ( Though () is good and it's on iTunes)

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 17
Thanks guys! Out of everything so far, pink floyd and radiohead are standing out. Keep the suggestions coming!!

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 17
Off the top of my head....

Beck - The Information

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 17
I say try moving from hip-hop into jazz. You might find Soweto Kinch a nice place to start, with "Conversations with the Unseen", which is heavily hip-hop influenced, but with serious jazz quality.

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 17
I think I have found magic in ben fold's music. What's you all's opinion on him? What other music should I look for if I really like the sound of ben folds? Thanks

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys! Out of everything so far, pink floyd and radiohead are standing out. Keep the suggestions coming!!

For Pink Floyd, just go ahead and get the first 3 "classics". Wish You Were Here is more moving than DSOTM (if marred by Waters' whining about the music industry in the middle...seriously, he had next to Beatles-level artistic freedom and fortune, what does he have to complain about?), and Animals is angrier, with Gilmour's best guitar work. The Wall, I don't like so much, because it's got too much filler.

On classic rock, get into the Who, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple.
The Who- Who's Next (most accessible), Quadrophenia (most moving), Live At Leeds (pure kickass rock...the best live album ever made by white guys with guitars)
Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin II (more rock), Led Zeppelin IV (the one with Stairway to Heaven)
Deep Purple- Made in Japan (second only to Leeds, and with more soloing)
If you don't classify AC/DC as heavy metal, they're also well worth your time.

Do you listen to jazz rap (A Tribe Called Quest, etc.)? If you do, Miles Davis' classics like Kind of Blue are right around the corner.

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 17
You didn't ask for it, but here it is...

Great Country: Hank Williams, Bob Wills & his Texas Playboys, Johnny Cash, Hank Thompson, Buck Owens

Always keep your ears open.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back