Help me fix my UE Super.Fi 5's
Jul 19, 2010 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

texashorn91

100+ Head-Fier
Recently one side of my Ultimate Ears IEM's went out, and looking through the UE support page I found that it was caused by a cable issue, which I confirmed. When I push around on the end of the cable by the jack, I can get both to work for a few seconds.

Basically, I don't want to buy a new pair of headphones because I really enjoyed these, and it is hard for me to believe that this can't be fixed by someone who knows what they are doing. I think the cable would have to be cut and then re-soldered into the jack? Not really sure. If anyone could help me with this, please let me know!

Thanks for your time,

Craig

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 8
Craig,

I'm not the most experienced here.  However I have tried repairing a few iems, my super fi. 5 pros (detachable cable) and just finished my er-6i's.  Depending on where the cable damage is kind of an important issue.  If it's close enough to the 3.5mm jack, you can just chop the the end off and use either a new end that has to be soldered on or one with screws. If the super fi. 5s are anything like the pro's you might be able to open the shell of each side (if you are careful) and just solder in a whole new cable.

Are they still under warranty? If that is the case I would try and use the warranty.  Though I assume if you are posting here then you have already looked into that.  Hope this helps and hope someone else can provide more input for you instead of my ramblings

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Clem, I'm barely out of warranty. Very frustrating. It is the very end of the cable, specifically where the cable is connected to the jack. I was thinking the same thing, someone could just cut off the end and have a new jack or the same one soldered on again.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Oh man, that can sometimes be the most frustrating situation.  I've been there many times.  Either way, yeah if the damage is far enough down the cable, you or someone you trust, can do the repair easy.  I don't know what UE uses in those cables though.  Maybe enamel coated wire?  Hope you get your situation hashed out, it is always a downer when a favorite set of phones goes down.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 8
If I remember correctly the super.fi. 5's cable is replaceable. I should know, because I had the EB version. Now, I'm going to assume you've never picked up a soldering iron before, and probably doesn't have one at home. If so, the better idea would be buying a replacement cable off ebay. They sell for around 25, just a little more then what you would need to buy to do repairs yourself. The next thing you should watch out for in these things are the pins where the cable meets the ear piece. They are very fragile. -_- But hey, mine lasted 5 years, so I'm not going to complain much.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 8
Well you are right and aren't right all at the same time.  The super fi. 5 pros and the super fi. 5 EB have detachable cables.  So in that case yes he could just buy a new cable, or could even find a dyi person on the forums to make a really nice cable.  However he said he had the Super Fi. 5 only, and those do not have detachable cables.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 8
Doh! Well, in that case it'll need a little more work to fix this problem then. OP, there is nothing to worry about. Armed with a soldering iron and a multimeter, it will be a quick and easy fix.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 8
I have to agree with Ujamerstand.  Quck and easy fix.  Just as long as the soldering work is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back