help me fix my grado sr125 please!
Jul 10, 2008 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

theBigD

500+ Head-Fier
recently my grado headphones developed a short in left earphone wire. at the y junction the cover came lose exposing smaller wire underneath. after headphone shorted out i tried to pry y apart to get at cable underneath it doesnt just pry apart. i feel like i might damage more by messing with it. how should i fix this? i do have a soldering iron, almost no experience with it. i am unemployed so looking for cheapest way to fix. thanx for your help.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
recently my grado headphones developed a short in left earphone wire. at the y junction the cover came lose exposing smaller wire underneath. after headphone shorted out i tried to pry y apart to get at cable underneath it doesnt just pry apart. i feel like i might damage more by messing with it. how should i fix this? i do have a soldering iron, almost no experience with it. i am unemployed so looking for cheapest way to fix. thanx for your help.

The easiest way would be a straight recable. The Grado Y Junction has always seemed to me to be ugly, and probably not the best system
confused.gif

If you really want to keep a stock grado cable, I'd look on the forums to just pick up a different one.

As far as the repair, with a new/different cable it should be a cinch. Just pop open the headphone chamber and de solder the wires sitting on the (generously) soldered pads. If your iron is hot, it should only take a moment to do. Just make sure your tip is clean, and touch it to the pad, once you see the solder liquify, lift (gently) the wire out. Remove the heat. Repeat.

Just make sure you keep an eye on which wire goes to which pad (i don't recall if the driver is labeled). Do the same in the opposite fashion when recabling.

You may need to "heat" the chamber to soften the glue that Grado uses.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 3
Also,
If you don't feel comfortable hacking up your headphones, shoot me a PM. i'd be willing to help you out if you cover shipping both ways. (You'd also have to source a cable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back