Help me finish my vinyl rig (with pics).
May 3, 2009 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Punnisher

Headphoneus Supremus
I got this Pioneer PL112d for 10 dollars, and would like to get the rest of the parts to finish it. It runs great and is in fantastic shape. However, my knowledge about anything vinyl is extremely limited. I don't even know what kind of head assembly or cartridge/stylus would work with this turntable. What parts should I get?

IMG_1644sm.jpg

IMG_1647sm.jpg

May 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 15
Ok, thanks. Forgive my ignorance, but don't I need the head that attaches to the end of the arm as well? I'm worried that it may be impossible to find that kind of part.

May 3, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 15
Your Pioneer is a version of the PL12D one of the best selling budget turntables (late 70's early 80's) of all time. That being said, it is very much a budget turntable so don't spend a lot of money on parts or upgrades for it as you can only take it so far. Aside from the headshell and a cartridge that you need, I would only look at a possible upgrade of the platter mat and that's it.

Does your turntable have the phono cable (interconnect with two rca's attached)? You need this.

Do you have a phono preamp or an amplifier with a built-in phono stage?
You need this too.

Here is a link to the manual for your turntable. You will have to register on the site to download it. Read your manual.
Pioneer PL-112D Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Your missing part is called a headshell. Your tonearm takes a universal (or sme type) headshell. You can usually get one on eBay or at the link below, or even from a thrift shop or non-working turntable (if it has a similar headshell). You don't have to buy anything other than the basic one. I also recommend an AT95e phono cartridge, also available at the site below, that will work well in your tonearm.
Phonograph needle,turntable belt,turntable needle,turntable stylus,phono cartridge,phonograph cartridge, earphones, headphones and audio equipment

I've posted in another current thread, linked below, similar information to what you requested for setup.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/mai...ntable-422607/

May 3, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent, thank you. I will be using my Sony receiver and speaker rig for this, so I've got everything except for the head.

Yep. Get the headshell and phono cartridge, set it up as per the other thread and you're good to go. I should warn you, however, that your Sony does not have a very good phono stage. You might want to look at buying a separate phono stage like a tcc-tc760 or better down the road. Connect it to an aux in on the Sony and it will be a marked improvement.

May 3, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found this combo on ebay, seems like it would work...

TURNTABLE HEADSHELL & SHURE Encore M70B NEW NEEDLE - eBay (item 350185732025 end time May-31-09 08:42:20 PDT)

The headshell would work, but the Shure is a very old cartridge with a spherical/conical stylus. It's very good for 78's and 45's, not so good for 33 1/3 rpm stereo lp's. The treble is rolled off and the stylus profile accentuates surface noise (pops and clicks) and doesn't dig deep enough into the groove to retrieve maximum detail. You could do better.

Here's one very similar to the original headshell.

NEW Silver Metal Headshell for Technics, Pioneer, Sony - eBay (item 360151537516 end time May-29-09 23:59:28 PDT)

If you prefer black.

NEW BLACK UNIVERSAL HEADSHELL FITS ( S ) SHAPE TONEARMS - eBay (item 400032263288 end time May-20-09 05:03:10 PDT)

Here's a better one
NEW STANTON H4S TURNTABLE HEADSHELL CARTRIDGE MOUNT - eBay (item 380120255994 end time May-26-09 08:07:43 PDT)

Here's a phono cartridge link

Audio Technica AT 95 E / AT95E cartridge *BRAND NEW* - eBay (item 150300928262 end time May-30-09 04:29:14 PDT)

May 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks for the input again.

I wouldn't mind going for the third option for the head, as it comes with some weights that will probably come in handy.

As for the cartridge, I can't tell if it comes with a stylus or not.

May 13, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 15
My cartridge and headshell came in and it's all installed. It sounds beautiful and works perfectly.

Though, I really need to get a brush to remove the dust that's on some of these records. Thanks for all your recommendations.

May 13, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #15 of 15
I'm glad everything worked out. Welcome to vinyl. Either of the two carbon fibre brushes that wareagle69 linked to work well for surface dust and are the best I've used of that type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back