Help me find this type of Classical:
Jan 5, 2008 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
So I already listen to some modern and romantic classical.
I realy like the minimal material like Glass, Nyman, Adams and Reich (and I adore Ludovico Einaudi).
I also like Chopin and Shostakovich.

What im looking for now is the emotional and somewhat dark sounding-yet not too "big sounding" and dramatic classical. Some of Shosty's 8 (for example) is too big and booming for me. Im not sure if that makes any sense...

I dont own anything by Beethoven.

Maybe you can recommend some more complex modern classical and some of the older material as well (i guess any period). Have heard great things about Arvo Part as well...

Sorry for being all over the place here-but this is such a daunting/intimidating genre.

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 4
How about Brahms' symphonies? Darkish, dramatic with the heave and heft you'd associate with that period. Melodic too. With Brahms every note mattered.

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 4
Try looking at chamber music. To me it is more emotional (and generally better music) than large symphonic works.

Composers have to rely more on actual musical ideas rather than the large tone color and mass of sound of a symphonic orchestra. Definently not boomy.(Just my opinion).

I really like Shostakovitch and Beethoven's chamber music (not all of it is dark so you need to listen around).

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 4
Sorry guys-it appears I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum.
Can someone move this over to the MUSIC forum for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back