Help me find the right headphones
Aug 31, 2007 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PFunk

New Head-Fier
Hey, i've been looking at this forum since last week for I am looking for new heaphones.

Ok first I'm french Canadian so i'm not to sure about my english.
I currently own an old pair of sennheiser hd477 I bought few years back and I was pretty happy with them. But their getting old and the voice coil one both sides has shrinked too much and they rattle and scratch at medium volume.

The heaphones i'm looking for will be used mainly on my computer for listening music (lossless ripped cd) and I'm plannig on buying and emu 0404 pci card or maybe the usb 0404 unit if I my buget permit it. I want this card because I'm an amateur guitarist and want to record on my computer. This mean that I will be using them for mixing and monitoring tracks that I will record.

I also want to introduce myself to the audiophile world and thas why I came here. I'm willing to spend something around 400$ canadian (maybe like 350$ us). I will use those heaphone for home theater and aslo cd music thru my technic sa-da 20 receiver and my old pionner dvd player
rolleyes.gif
(optical interconnect so using the receivers DAC witch is good enought).

I've tried one of my friends pair of HD595 and I didn't really licked the sound (but they just had about 10-15 hours of beak in). The bass was lacking too much but still I enjoyed its sharpness. As a guitarist I like warm middle and the sennheiser where maybe too neutral for me. They we're runned by an high end Lynn amp/cd combo wich i cant remember the model.

I've been looking at akg k601 maybe k701 cause I will be using these headphones ALOT (5- 12 hours a day) and I thought I might like the very open sound since I think it would cause less fatigue but I did not had the chance to try them and no vendor have them in stock in my area which mean that I will need to have order them online.

I would like to know what kind of heaphones you think would fit me ( MUST be overhead, I hate in-ears) and i'm also open to sugestion about a small buget dedicated headphone amp and maybe a new cd/dvd player (would like an universal palyer).

(Btw I listen to all kind of music... rock, jazz, blue, classical, funk, some hip-hop, new age, metal, psychedelic noodling stuff.... everything)

Thanks for the help!
eggosmile.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 9
hmmm...I'm guessing the K601 won't be warm enough for you. I would suggest trying a grado headphone. Perhaps the SR225? Great value, nice tight bass and dynamic sound. you'll have some money left over - they're $200 or less

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 9
Will the Grado be comfortable enought fore very extended listening session (5-12 +)? the foam pads looks a bit disconfortable. Are they replaceable? I will try to find a store near me that hold them in stock to try.
The sr323 seems to fit in my budget too. Do you think it would worth the extra money?
Thanks for the reply.

Aug 31, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the Grado be comfortable enought fore very extended listening session (5-12 +)? the foam pads looks a bit disconfortable. Are they replaceable? I will try to find a store near me that hold them in stock to try.
The sr323 seems to fit in my budget too. Do you think it would worth the extra money?
Thanks for the reply.

I seriously doubt the Grados will be comfortable enough. Although I like the sound of mine I can't wear them for more than 2 hours straight.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 9
Comfort with Grados seems to be a terribly personal thing. When I first received my much heavier MS2i with the dreaded bowl pads, I did manage to sneak in a fourteen hour listening marathon within a week, just listening to everything I could get my CD player around.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Yeah, I don,t think Grados are what I'm looking for. Are AKG comfortable for long listening session?
I'm also considering DT880 since there reasonably priced and looks very comfy. Is this a good choice for an all around music, home theater, monitoring heaphone?

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 9
AKG701's aren't want you'll be after. Have you thought about the Byerdynamic range. It'd seem to suit you're tastes moreso then the above choices. (I dislike grado in nearly all aspect [they do make good headphones, there just not for me], and would not suggest them if you listen to a wide range of music).

Anyway, I hope that was helpfull(ish).

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 9
Start simple. Get the Alessandro MS1 $99 price includes shipping anywhere. No amp required for excellent sound. After you listen for six months then come back here and quibble.

Jun 20, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 9
For the record, right now 400 canadian is equivalent to about 393ish USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back