Help me find the right headphones (coming from Ultrasone HFI-580)
Mar 4, 2010 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ex0du5

500+ Head-Fier
Let's just preface this by saying I love my Ultrasone HFI-580. They're the best headphones I've heard besides the Grado SR-1, which had a different but equally appealing flavor. The soundstage is wide, though not very forward. The bass is incredibly punchy and not uncontrolled whatsoever. Mids are a tad recessed, but otherwise do have a bit of that sweet Grado quality which I love. Highs are smooth and not fatiguing. Comfort wise, they could be better...they clamp a tad too much and the headband applies a bit too much pressure to the top of my head making them uncomfortable over 1-2 hour sessions.

So I'm looking for:

Punchy bass (not uncontrolled...I absolutely hated the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros)
Forward soundstage. I remember the Sennheiser HD580s had an appealingly forward soundstage (which the HD650 do not really seem to have).
Comfort. Very important here. I think one reason for the slight discomfort here is that these headphones are quite heavy.

Now, since I don't like Beyers, don't like Sennheisers (don't care for the HD650 or the HD280), and Grado probably doesn't meet my comfort criteria, I'm almost thinking I should be looking for another Ultrasone headphone. Is there any headphone that could be considered a big improvement from my HFI-580's? Maybe a lighter pair with less recessed mids and a more forward soundstage.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 3
i hvae no idea because i havent tried them. but denon? maybe thyere not forward enough... /shrug.
im waiting for my T1 but i was interested in trying out a d5000 in the mean time... not sure if id like them but never know until you try!

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 3
I am very interested in trying the Denons. I think I may have to diversify and just keep a small repertoire of headphones that are good at their respective genres.

Anyways, just spent a bit of cash (wasted, kind of) on a Sennheiser PC 350 (needed a new headset) and Asus Xonar Essence STX. On the bright side, at least I'll have a decent source once I do get another decent set of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back