Help me find the right Headphone
Oct 16, 2002 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BaronJack

100+ Head-Fier
I've been doing much research the past few weeks and am still unable to make the decision on what Headphones I want to get. Hopefully you guys can lead me back in the right direction.

These headphones will be mostly for computer audio use with High quality mp3s [320bit Lame Encoded] running through a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Soundcard. The phones will also be used once in a while through my Marantz CD changer. Closed/Opened doesn't really make a differnce to me.

I'm looking for a phone that can really handle all the metal genres with authority. Stuff Like Opeth, and Dream Theater, and Nevermore. I'm hoping the same headphone can also be used once in a while for comp Gameing, but if not it's not that big of a deal.

My Budget is around $200-250 dollars for the headphones, and around 200 for the Amp [most likely a meta-42] Phones I'm currently looking at under the Beyerdynamic line are DT770, and the DT-250-80, and under the Grado Line the SR-225, and SR-325. Sehn's arn't out of the question but I have a feeling they might be too layed back for my taste.

Any suggestions would be great.

Oct 17, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 7
I think you are on the right track. Can you audition any of these phones to see if you like them?

Biggie.

Oct 17, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 7
best buy == HD600
biggrin.gif

however make sure ur marantz cd player is better than cd-6000ose or u'll find ur hi-end phones are sound like those $10 - rubbish only...

Oct 17, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 7
He wants to handle metal gear with authority. I have never heard the hd600's but they have been described as "sitting in the crowd" while with the grados you are right on stage. If you want loud crashing symbols then you would like the grados, if you want hard hitting bass then you would like the beyer 770's, so I guess it depends what kind of authority you are after hehe. I would also recommend getting a meta-42 with what ever phones you choose.

Biggie.

Oct 17, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
He wants to handle metal gear with authority. I have never heard the hd600's but they have been described as "sitting in the crowd" while with the grados you are right on stage. If you want loud crashing symbols then you would like the grados, if you want hard hitting bass then you would like the beyer 770's, so I guess it depends what kind of authority you are after hehe. I would also recommend getting a meta-42 with what ever phones you choose.

Biggie.

made mistake.. ?
confused.gif

i am very familiar with HD600 / HD580 / DT931 and list of series of Grado Procducts.

in my opinion, Grado's phones are really close to "sitting in the crowd" while HD600 comes more natural, as if u are sitting in front of the stage. DT931 is specailized with its hard hitting bass, however i don't like it very much, it sounds too bright when listening to some of the music...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back