Help me find the right CD Player!
Jun 15, 2005 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

deadlierchair

100+ Head-Fier
Up to this point I have been pretty certain about what I was going to purchase as my CD Player - a used NAD c541. Now I've found out my budget has increased as an option if it will help me in the long run.

Right now I have...
Alessandro MS-1
PIMETA Amp

With the possibility of adding...
Amp Upgrades
New Interconnects
Grado SR325i
Sennheiser HD580/600
A PPA/Tube amp eventually

Here is my problem...what will last me the best through these parts above? I am thinking this would all last about two to three years, but I don't want to be limited by my CD player a ton if I upgrade my headphones and amp.

My budget...I would like to spend up to $500, but that would have to get me a really great player or else I would like to spend less. So, what are everyone's thoughts? I am open to modding players, that would be fun for me, but stock as well is fine. As far as output I'm not sure if I'm ready for a real DAC or anything like that, I would just go Player -> PIMETA -> Phones. Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Jun 15, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 8
Can I join in this thread. I want to know which is more effective soundwise and costwise - long term.

a. Low end cd player + Benchmark DAC1 (its the only DAC I can afford)
b Or a really good mid high end player like Cyrus 8x (but that would be twice the price of option a)

The sales person from Cyrus said an expensive DAC would be pointless if used with a low end cd player. I 've always thought a transport is just a trasport and not really a big factor in sound quality.

confused.gif

Anyway, the NAD 541 is an entry level cdp. Upgrading 542 or Azur should not bring major difference in my opinion. You have to invest in a mid end cd player I think but I don't have any experience with mid end cdp so I can't recommend any.

Jun 15, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
a. Low end cd player + Benchmark DAC1 (its the only DAC I can afford)
b Or a really good mid high end player like Cyrus 8x (but that would be twice the price of option a)

The sales person from Cyrus said an expensive DAC would be pointless if used with a low end cd player. I 've always thought a transport is just a trasport.

FWIW I prefer my $30 soundcard and DAC1 to several higher-end CDP's I've heard lately, namely the Naim CDX and Rega Jupiter. The DAC1 is also a headphone amp and preamp, so you're getting quite a great value for the money, considering John Atkinson of stereophile compared it favorably to a $10k+ Levinson DAC. I have yet to find a better value myself. As long as you have a transport that properly reads CD's and outputs them as they are, you should be good to go.

Jun 15, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

... The sales person from Cyrus said an expensive DAC would be pointless if used with a low end cd player. I 've always thought a transport is just a trasport and not really a big factor in sound quality...

I don't know of an area of interest other than hi-end audio where people feel free to state unsubstantiated opinion as fact. Or even, just maybe, knowingly lie to their customers.

According to folks on Audio Asylum, Benchmark demoed the DAC1 at the recent Stereophile show with < US$100 Panasonic and Pioneer DVD players. And the Benchmark rep was quoted as saying you could use a wire coat hanger for the digital connection without degrading the DAC1's performance.

Jun 15, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauregard
I don't know of an area of interest other than hi-end audio where people feel free to state unsubstantiated opinion as fact. Or even, just maybe, knowingly lie to their customers.

According to folks on Audio Asylum, Benchmark demoed the DAC1 at the recent Stereophile show with < US$100 Panasonic and Pioneer DVD players. And the Benchmark rep was quoted as saying you could use a wire coat hanger for the digital connection without degrading the DAC1's performance.

Thats what sales people do
smily_headphones1.gif
And you better be right about the wire hanger thing
very_evil_smiley.gif

I do know that many Cyrus users tend to stick to err...Cyrus series?? Anyway decided to get the Benchmark (USD 1050...outrageous but affordable compared to Cyrus....British products are so overpriced in my place grrrr...
mad.gif
)

The Benchmark does look cheaply built and would fit nicely on my Azur. My mom would kill me if she sees another expensive looking component in my room
icon10.gif
It would be good to have a solid state alternative to my XCan.

I do know someone who has a Chord 64 and had problems getting it sound right with various CDP. I dunno what cdps he used though.

Jun 16, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

...The Benchmark does look cheaply built.

Poor choice of words. The Benchmark is extremely well built! But your point is taken. It's probably not going to make a mom too suspicious about its price - especially when she sees that it's hooked up with a coat hanger.
biggrin.gif

Enjoy! It's a really nice piece of equipment.

Best,
Beau

Jun 16, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauregard
Poor choice of words. The Benchmark is extremely well built! But your point is taken. It's probably not going to make a mom too suspicious about its price - especially when she sees that it's hooked up with a coat hanger.
biggrin.gif

Enjoy! It's a really nice piece of equipment.

Best,
Beau

I have touched it before. It still looks cheap to me but it feels solid to me. Anyway, it fits nicely on my cdp. The dual headphone jacks are nice too.

Anyway, the other thing I want to ask is are the analogue and digital outputs of EMU soundcards better quality compared to entry level cdps in all your opinions? They look the same to me but thats all I can say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back