Help me find the perfect source component for my setup!
Apr 29, 2012 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

netbususer

100+ Head-Fier
So at the moment I have my headphone setup just where I want it (with the exception of possibly a better DAC.... My current setup for headphones is TOTL Mid-2011 iMac -> Pure Music -> Schiit Bifrost via SPDIF Siliflex cable -> CSP2+ -> Beyerdynamic T1.)

My next adventure that I'm looking into is a Decware Torii III amp and the Decware Extended Range Radials or the Zu Audio Soul Superfly speakers (Likely the ERR's...) I imagine I COULD use my current iMac/Bifrost combo as a source, but I am thinking of getting a more legitimate source component. Does anyone have any suggestions? My budget is around 2k... Less is always preferred provided I am still getting the SQ that I would come to expect from such a set up... I was thinking of just getting the Wyred4Sound DAC 2 but am also toying with the idea of some Marantz or McIntosh receiver... or if I can find a way to use my Airport Extreme to wirelessly send .flac files to my receiver for play I think that also might be ideal.

It's 2AM right now and I'm tired. I hope what I'm asking for his clear and coherent... if it isn't, let me know and I'll rephrase it in the morning. Really just looking for either a serious DAC upgrade or a dedicated receiver component as my source. SACD etc. don't really concern me as about 98% of my music has been purchased in digital format... Any suggestions?

TIA!

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #2 of 3
I wouldn't go for a receiver...They tend to be lackluster (even the Mc ones).

Shouldn't you be able to get an Airport Express and out the digital signal to whatever DAC you pick? There are a ton of options in that price range right now. I haven't heard it myself but the NAD M51 comes in right at budget and has been getting high praise. It's very flexible for both speaker and headphone rigs. 

I've been really liking my new Calyx 24/192 DAC, but I don't think it'd give you flexibility you want. The W4S was a consideration for me, but if you can stretch your budget to 2k (it seems you can) people seem to be recommending the M51 over the DAC 2. 

Again, I haven't heard the M51 myself, but check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/602771/nad-m51-direct-digital-dac-impressions

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 3
If you do decide to go with a receiver, the Yamaha RX-671 AV receiver comes with networking features, better speaker amplifiers then the lower end models, surround sound for headphones.
The front USB port is able to work with iPods and iPhones, so it "might" work with your iMac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back