Help me find some Tech-Step (Jungle/Drum 'n Bass)
Nov 4, 2006 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Been listening to it for over ten years, so I know and love all the classic names (DJs):

Goldie
Souldslinger
Dieselboy
Andy C
Odi
AK 1200
Dara
Aphrodite
DB

Am looking for some new material-preferrably Dark and Techy.
Who are the new big DJ's?
Is there still a Jungle scene...anywhere?

Nov 19, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 13
As far as I can tell, early/mid-90s jungle has split into two directions (not counting IDM, which isn't exactly dancefloor material): dubstep and raggacore (or breakcore or whatever you want to call it).

Dubstep takes its cues from soundsystem culture; it's defined by its techy rhythms, loping structures...and deep, dark, bone-rattling subbass.
  1. A bit of history.
  1. Key figures: Burial, Kode9, Skream, Digital Mystikz, Loefah, Boxcutter, Vex'd...
  1. Key statements: Dubstep Wars, "Midnight Request Line", Dubstep Allstars Vols. 1-4 on Tempa, Burial (which will be on many a year-end Top 10 list)...

In terms of tempo and sheer bludgeoning intensity, breakcore/raggacore might actually have more in common with jungle than dubstep. At the same time, it's a much more amorphous and unstable genre. At one end, there's the ubiquitous Amen break; at another, there's dancehall reggae riddims...
  1. A definition of sorts.
  1. Key figures: The Bug/Razor X, DJ Scud, Soundmurder & SK-1, ****mat, Knifehandchop, Eight Frozen Modules, DJ /rupture...
  1. Key statements: "Gun Disease", Ambush, Wired for Sound, Full English Breakfast, Dj , Riddim and Source, Shockout Vol. 1, Gold Teeth Thief (or at least parts of it)...

Nov 19, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 13
Wow-ive been listening to Jungle for over a decade and ive never heard of those two sub-genres or any of the artists you mentioned!
Thanx for the info!
BTW-the artists you mentioned, are those track producers or DJ's?
Ideally, i'd like to find some mix-sets.

Nov 19, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 13
I wouldn't necessarily call them "sub-genres": each is distinctly its own genre. Instead, they represent what jungle has morphed into. I think many of the people involved in these kinds of music spent much of the 90s deeply into jungle and drum n bass, and this is pretty evident in their rhythms and textures.

With the possible exception of DJ /rupture (who is a producer in his own right too), all the artists above are known for stuff they produced themselves. Dubstep is interesting because the majority of the producers also moonlight as DJs to "perform" their own material. It's also quite touching because when they play out, they spin a mix of their own dubplates and other producers': it's like one big happy family.

The Tempa CDs I mentioned, along with Wired for Sound, Shockout Vol. 1, and Gold Teeth Thief, are compilations/mixes. In terms of dubstep, I might say that most of the extant recordings are rips floating around on the internet of London pirate radio shows. There's something very cool about the ephemeral quality this brings to the music...

Anyway, if you're just starting out, I'd download Dubstep Wars (if the links still work) and Gold Teeth Thief (check out the junglist parts) to get a sense of the respective genres.

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 13
Hmmm, this is nice music. I had never heard of Jungle before. I have been checking these out and have found a few that I like so far. I am listening to Incredible Sound of Drum'nBass now by Goldie. Interesting.
Vito

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 13
To the OP, you have some decent ones already mapped, but there are dozens of sub genres of jungle, DnB, two step, techstep, chill, dirty Electro, etc so no worries trying to get them all straight!!
icon10.gif

DrunkenMonkey, 7up, and Phantom45 all have amazing material if you can find actual mixes from these artists. Many of the genres of Jungle I tend to enjoy have speed garage influence and either vocals from raggae and/or progressive breaky house, tech house, and electrojazz.. (which is not mushroom jazz-thanks Mark Farina-) Variations and new lines in the genres make some of the newer styles of Jungle really interesting to me (though the scene seems deader than dead in the States...)

Etain, out of South Africa, spins one of the most amazing signature styles of Techno, Tech House and dirty Electro all wrapped into a presentations that takes on breaks (breakbeats but slightly more progressive/random with more loops/peaks) and DnB/Jungle put together.

The main thing with finding sick new material to get into is having an understanding of what you like and are looking for..
That said, I will refer you to DJ Baby Anne for some sick break beats..which gives you an idea of the different vinyl DJ's can have access to and opt to spin VS the more known western influence of vinyl and DJ talent/preferences as seen in the DJ's afformentioned in your post above.

Check out Tricky/Massive attack and early Bjork (formerly of sugar cubes), as either of these contain early influences on the jungle/DnB scene..nor Towa Tei (formerly Deelite DJ -master sampler), DJ Shadow (entroducing contains nice DnB roots)

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 13
The Burial CD , one of my favorites this moment .
What the magazines said :

""Spooked electronic dub with a widescreen feel...the dubstep answer to Massive Attack Blue Lines "

"a stealthy and seductive symphony of resonaut bass and mournful white noise" ALBUM OF THE YEAR The Wire

"An immersive and hugely evocative listen" - Uncut

"amournful materpiece" - Observer Music Monthly

"Smiles while drowning under your electronic definations,creating slowly evolving and broodingly smoldering melodies that just won't go away"- URB

än absurdly addictive sonic opiate for lovestick drifters.BREATHTAKING.5/5 -IDJ

and FACT magazine quote, "To listen to this late at night, ON HEADPHONES, is to become totally absorbed in the deadly sad beauty of London - this I did last week-end , can't get enough of BURIAL, buy a ticket to LONDON . . .

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 13
Many thanks dehory, very informative post! I've had brief encounters with jungle including some of the artists you listed but never really had the chance to expand on it even though I really liked what I heard. I only listen to Amon Tobin on a regular basis though I think his style is mixed in with jazz, swing, etc.

Will definitely check out some of these recommendations!

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 13
Want the newest in Drum & Bass including mixes, new releas4es, interviews, dubplates, videos, and news?

Go to Drum & Bass Arena at http://www.breakbeat.co.uk

Want a HUGE, comprehensive database of Drum & Bass, including listings of artists, tracks, albums, labels, etc, and also including other forms of music which relate to and influence Drum & Bass?

Go to RollDaBeats at http://www.rolldabeats.com

Want the oldest and largest online Drum & Bass community?

Go to Dogs on Acid at http://www.dogsonacid.com

All of these places are great ways to find new Drum & Bass music. Also, there are thousands of quality mixes online available for free, legal download. Just search. If you go to DogsOnAcid, there is an entire section of the forum called "The Booth" where people post links to their mixes. Also, DogsOnAcid posts mixes roughly monthly by big artists. These are free too. Just go here:

http://www.dogsonacid.com/mixes/

If you don't know where to start, I'll suggest this mix at DOA, which I've been listening to a lot recently. To get to it, scroll down to the bottom of the article (but before the comments) and click on the "Danny Byrd's mix - Actually It's A Danny Byrd Thing!" link. It is by Danny Byrd who produces and spins a sub-genre of Drum & Bass called Liquid Funk on the Hospital label. Liquid funk is a little soft compared to other Drum & Bass sub-genres, but it has a really nice funky, techy groove.

I can suggest a lot more and give links to other mixes ranging from atmospheric/experimental IDM, to Techstep and Nuerofunk, to Hardstep and Darkstep.

Jus' let me know.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudonym /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for the dnb heads out there, do yourself a favor and check out...

gridlok
hive
spor
unknown error
ewun
evol intent
resonant evil
andy c
dillinja
and to throw a little variety in there with some great production...rjd2

youre welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread