Help me find some nice IEMs
Dec 12, 2008 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wonderwall

100+ Head-Fier
I'm always hearing that headphones and ear-phones should be chosen based on musical taste. So I'm gonna give you guys a run-down of what I like and see if you can think of one good for me.

One thing I should note: I do listen to a lot of kinds of music, which I typically see associated with different kinds of headphones. It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I want some soft-rock like Goo Goo Dolls, matchbox twenty, Coldplay. Sometimes I'm in a jpop mood and listen to stuff with glossy production, fast tempo and an emphasis on treble and mids. Though in some cases, like Ayumi Hamasaki, the same artist has really glitzy pop and very crunchy hard rock, depending on which album/era I'm listening to. :lol: I'm not a bass-head by any means. Balance is very important to me. So adversely, anemic bass wouldn't work for me either. Nor would super rolled off highs or recessed mids.

I'm being difficult, huh? My apologies. It's always hard for me to organize or make sense of my thoughts/feelings so bare with me, k? Most important for me with my music is that it has the emotional impact. Doesn't have to be in my face. And detail is important as well. But I will take some emotional impact over some detail if it is called for.

Isolation is also pretty important. I don't want to be completely deaf to the world. If a car is beeping or someone is yelling at me from a reasonable distance, I want to be aware of it. But I don't want the crowds at the mall drowning out my music.

In the comfort department, I am not really easy to please (are you surprised?). The only IEMs I have been able to comfortably wear are JVC marshmallows and even those sometimes give me a hard time. I believe this may be easier with higher-end IEMs since they come in multiple sizes and types of tips.

Last but not least: Budget. I am aiming at something around $100, give or take $20. If you are thinking of something over $120 that seems perfect for me, throw it out there anyway.

Okay, gentleman (and ladies if we have any here), you've got the criteria. Good luck to you and you are welcome to kick my perfectionistic ass for being so picky.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah, and thanks to anyone that takes their time to help.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 6
Did I word that badly or something? I hope my sense of humor was not off-putting. ^^; I really would appreciate the help though. My mom wants to know what kind I'd like as a Christmas present and so far I keep having to tell her "errr, I dunno!". She's already bought a pair of Shure SE110s but I told her I heard bad things about them here so those are going back. Actually, I think I may avoid Shure altogether from what I've picked up from you guys. Denons looking good...

But ok, I'll leave it to you guys from here.
ph34r.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 6
Nuforce NE-8

For being ~$65, other head-fiers have said good things about these. From various reviewers (this is not complete and it just gives a broad overview):
-clarity is excellent
-sounds like a greater than $150 IEM
-bass is punchy yet not overdone
-highs and mids are clear
-----
Cons
-fit may not be for all (true for any iem)

I am waiting for my set of Nuforce NE-8s to arrive later today, which I will review comparing to my TF10s and others.

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nuforce NE-8

For being ~$65, other head-fiers have said good things about these. From various reviewers (this is not complete and it just gives a broad overview):
-clarity is excellent
-sounds like a greater than $150 IEM
-bass is punchy yet not overdone
-highs and mids are clear
-----
Cons
-fit may not be for all (true for any iem)

I am waiting for my set of Nuforce NE-8s to arrive later today, which I will review comparing to my TF10s and others.

Sweet, I look forward to your review. They sound near perfect. Would you mind telling me where you bought them from? Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back