Help me find some headphones for my dad
Nov 25, 2007 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ozstrike

100+ Head-Fier
So Christmas is coming soon, and my family are trying to find presents for my dad. He mentioned that he liked my SR80s, so I think he might like a pair of decent cans.

I would just get him some SR80s, but I dont think he'll like them due to the comfort issues. He likes the sound, but he hasn't worn them for a long period of time.

So any recommendations for decent cans in the same sort of price range? He listens to a mixture of nearly everything: country, trance, classic rock, pop. He's a bit of a basshead, but I'm teaching him that bass isn't everything.

He'll probably be mainly listening straight from a powerbook, or from his ipod. I'm trying not to complicate things with amps as of yet.

Nov 25, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm probably your dad's age and if I said I wanted SR80s, that's what I want. BUT, if he's a real newb, you might be better off to buy a set of cans you think he will like and be comfortable with, give him those and your 80s for a week trial and let him pick.

For this to work, you need to be willing to part with your 80s for at least a week and you have to be willing to trade to whatever you buy for him. Shouldn't be too hard, just buy a pair of phones you would like that you think he might like also.

As to specific guidance, you don't tell us what music he listens to under what conditions. Source, environment, experience, etc. Do that and we can all be more helpful.

Mooch

Nov 25, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 11
Perhaps you could take him to a store and let him try on the SR80s? If he digs the comfort, I think it solves your problem. =P

Nov 25, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 11
x2 on the DT770's... my Dad(late 50's) likes the sound of my grado's, but didnt care for the comfort, then i got him a pair of DT770s a few months ago, and he wont put them down for anything
smily_headphones1.gif
he esspecially likes the isolation, and they respond well to his EQ tweaking

Nov 25, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 11
After trying the SR80s for a while, he really doesn't like the comfort of them, so I'm definately looking for something other than those, but in a similar sort of price range.

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 11
Bumpity bump, I'm ordering some now.
I'm guessing I want the DT770 Pros?
There are 250 ohm and 80ohm versions, which do I want?

Sidequestion: are dolphin music a good store?

Dec 10, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 11
One option might be getting a pair of SR-60's or MS-1, since they come with the comfy pads. It might just be that your father doesn't care for the bowls...I dunno...I have yet to listen to a pair of grados with bowls.

I know...I haven't lived yet...

I will say that the DT 770/80 still blew me away. Comfort, sound, clarity, and powerful low-end. If it's in your budget, then it's still a good choice.

Happy Holidays,

Nylan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back