Help me find some "Electronic" music?
Jan 11, 2008 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mattmoto

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm pretty much as new as they come to this genre... so if I say anything foolish let me know!

Recently, I've been listening to some "electronic" music (I put that in quotes because I'm not sure it's the right genre). In particular, Aphex Twin and Prodigy are seeing lots of playtime. I'm looking for groups/songs that have similiar sound, in particular: high tempo, pounding bass, complex rhythms, and generally a high-adrenaline sound that get your pulse pumping!

To be even more specific, the songs "Come to Daddy" and "Windowlicker" by Aphex Twin, and" Breath", "Smach My Bitch Up", and "Voodoo People (pendulum mix)" by Prodigy are the style I'm looking for.

Also, what genres are these songs under? I feel ignorant calling them "electronica".

Huge thanks! Looking forward to all replies!

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 8
<Rant> The term 'electronica' is vastly more general and vague than even the label 'rock'; this 'genre' covers the entire sonic and musical spectrum, since the 'electronic' designation describes the equipment/methods used to make the music, and not the music itself. Yet many people (not including the OP, since he's obviously aware that it consists of many genres) have no qualms about referring to it all as 'electronica'. Would they suggest that a John Mayer fan and a Cannibal Corpse fan both listen to the same 'rock music'?! Of course not. </rant>

The actual genres that it sounds like you're getting into are big beat, breakbeat, IDM and jungle. However, the thing with good electronic music is that it can't be neatly nailed down to a genre, making it all the more difficult to describe.

Chemical Brothers and Prodigy basically make breakbeat, but it's often called 'big beat' because of the pop-like (read: overcompressed) production. Other breakbeat or big beat artists to check out are Rennie Pilgrem, DJ Icey, Tayo, Hybrid and Tipper. Maybe Trentemøller as well.

Aphex Twin is the founder (and also a client!) of IDM, which is basically a lazy designation of 'it's electronic and has rhythm, but wouldn't really work in a club environment.' More artists to check out in this genre are Autechre, Bola, Arovana, Loess, Funckarma, Chris Clark, Plaid and Kettel. Aphex Twin also incorporates acid heavily into his music; those squelchy synths are the characteristic timbre of acid.

Hope that helps! There's plenty more where that came from!
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<Rant> The term 'electronica' is vastly more general and vague than even the label 'rock'; this 'genre' covers the entire sonic and musical spectrum, since the 'electronic' designation describes the equipment/methods used to make the music, and not the music itself. Yet many people (not including the OP, since he's obviously aware that it consists of many genres) have no qualms about referring to it all as 'electronica'. Would they suggest that a John Mayer fan and a Cannibal Corpse fan both listen to the same 'rock music'?! Of course not. </rant>

The actual genres that it sounds like you're getting into are big beat, breakbeat, IDM and jungle. However, the thing with good electronic music is that it can't be neatly nailed down to a genre, making it all the more difficult to describe.

Chemical Brothers and Prodigy basically make breakbeat, but it's often called 'big beat' because of the pop-like (read: overcompressed) production. Other breakbeat or big beat artists to check out are Rennie Pilgrem, DJ Icey, Tayo, Hybrid and Tipper. Maybe Trentemøller as well.

Aphex Twin is the founder (and also a client!) of IDM, which is basically a lazy designation of 'it's electronic and has rhythm, but wouldn't really work in a club environment.' More artists to check out in this genre are Autechre, Bola, Arovana, Loess, Funckarma, Chris Clark, Plaid and Kettel. Aphex Twin also incorporates acid heavily into his music; those squelchy synths are the characteristic timbre of acid.

Hope that helps! There's plenty more where that came from!
wink.gif

Nice overview and some solid recs here, although id definitely add Meat Katie and Adam Freeland to this list.
I love me some chunky breaks!
Can you recommend some of the producrs who make the darker, techier breaks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back