Help Me Find My Next Pair of Headphones!
Jan 13, 2016 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Centropolis

100+ Head-Fier
I want some suggestions on what headphones to get next from a different sound signature perspective.

Here is my headphones lineup right now:

-    HD598
-    MDR-7506
-    Q701
-    DT880 250ohms
-    SR-60i

What am I missing in my lineup?

a)    Planars
b)    A pair of good closed
c)    Something not neutral
d)    A pair that’s actually good? 
smile_phones.gif

e) a, b and c

I am thinking of something warm sounding but not too bass heavy….like creamy vocals.  I think most of my headphones except my Grados are more treble and details in the highs.  Maybe something slightly darker and warm?

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 6

What am I missing in my lineup?
a)    Planars
b)    A pair of good closed
c)    Something not neutral
d)    A pair that’s actually good? 
smile_phones.gif

e) a, b and c

a) Maybe
b) If you want something portable or something for at work or the library.
c) I wouldn't call the SR-60i neutral.
d) Yes... no, just joking, you already have good stuff.
e) That would be a MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro. Hard to drive, so you'd need a good amp for it.

My personal recommendation would be: get a second hand electrostatic system! Like the STAX SRS-2020. It's a great new sound and you might just fall in love with it. I know I did. If don't like it, you can sell it for the same price. You may also get a new SRS-2170 system from PriceJapan for a very reasonable price.

The Stax headphones are not warm and might have a similar balance to some of your headphones, but their sound is unique.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 6
  a) Maybe
b) If you want something portable or something for at work or the library.
c) I wouldn't call the SR-60i neutral.
d) Yes... no, just joking, you already have good stuff.
e) That would be a MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro. Hard to drive, so you'd need a good amp for it.

My personal recommendation would be: get a second hand electrostatic system! Like the STAX SRS-2020. It's a great new sound and you might just fall in love with it. I know I did. If don't like it, you can sell it for the same price. You may also get a new SRS-2170 system from PriceJapan for a very reasonable price.

The Stax headphones are not warm and might have a similar balance to some of your headphones, but their sound is unique.

Would you say the Mad Dog Pro come close to the SQ of a HE-400s atleast?  I am interested after reading about it.

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 6

Would you say the Mad Dog Pro come close to the SQ of a HE-400s atleast?  I am interested after reading about it.

Most will agree that the HE-400 is overall better sounding than the Mad Dogs, but for a closed headphone at it's price it's still pretty good for it's price. If you don't necessarily want a closed headphone, I'd recommend the HiFiMan.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 6
If you want something really different then electrostatic could be fun. One down side and something that i have wrestled with and has kept me from going that route has been limited options for headphones. And the options tend to mostly scale up in price vs a bunch at the same level. As it looks like you like to correct different cans i thought this might be relevant.

I'd vote for a nice set of orthodynamic headphones.

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am still keeping an eye out for a used pair of planars.  But in the meantime, I bought myself a pair of used Ultrasone 900 Pro.  They sound very different than what I currently have, which is a good thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back