Help me find my 'Frankenstein' headphone!
Oct 11, 2022 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pk4425

1000+ Head-Fier
The type of headphone I am looking for is (Closed-back, open-back, in-ear, wireless, etc): Open-back

My price range is: $1,250 or less

I like to listen to: Rock, alternative rock, classic rock, alt-country, EDM, bebop jazz

I will be using them for: (Travel, commuting, home, gym, etc..): Home

Hi all:

I own three headphones -- Audeze LCD-2C, Sennheiser HD 6XX and HiFiMan Edition XS. My source gear is a JDS Labs Atom+ stack with Qobuz running via USB from a laptop.

I would LOVE a can that combines the bass accuracy, richness and warmth of the LCD-2C, the lovely mids of the 6XX and the treble of the Edition XS. Don't care if it's planar or dynamic. I'm NOT a big EQ enthusiast -- only use a three-band analog JDS Subjective3 unit -- so I'm looking for good tuning out of the box.

Does such a can exist? If so, point me to my Dr. Frankenstein!

Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 9
For portable, you might want to consider the Audio-Technica ATH-WP900. They are only $650 and very light weight with good bass and treble and the pads are also surprisingly spacious for their size. They are quite V-shaped, but not unpleasantly so, with great detail. The only real downside is they might not have the mids that you are looking for.

If you want to max out your budget, you can also get the Denon AH-D9200 for < $1300 if you search around. You can even get them new from Japan for that price in Ebay from time to time.

Oct 11, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 9
The type of headphone I am looking for is (Closed-back, open-back, in-ear, wireless, etc): Open-back

I like to listen to: Rock, alternative rock, classic rock, alt-country, EDM, bebop jazz

Hi all:

I own three headphones -- Audeze LCD-2C, Sennheiser HD 6XX and HiFiMan Edition XS. My source gear is a JDS Labs Atom+ stack with Qobuz running via USB from a laptop.

I would LOVE a can that combines the bass accuracy, richness and warmth of the LCD-2C, the lovely mids of the 6XX and the treble of the Edition XS. Don't care if it's planar or dynamic. I'm NOT a big EQ enthusiast -- only use a three-band analog JDS Subjective3 unit -- so I'm looking for good tuning out of the box.

Thanks.
The Focal Celestee may be right for you.

Oct 11, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 9
For portable, you might want to consider the Audio-Technica ATH-WP900. They are only $650 and very light weight with good bass and treble and the pads are also surprisingly spacious for their size. They are quite V-shaped, but not unpleasantly so, with great detail. The only real downside is they might not have the mids that you are looking for.

If you want to max out your budget, you can also get the Denon AH-D9200 for < $1300 if you search around. You can even get them new from Japan for that price in Ebay from time to time.
Thanks. Not a fan of the A-T sound, especially the V-shape you mention.

Nice shout on the Denon's. I'll investigate!

Thanks.

Oct 11, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 9
Oct 12, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 9
Tried 'em. Didn't like them. Thanks, though!
You might like to add some headphones like this you’ve already tried or didn’t like so people don’t take the time to help without knowing that.

Also, do you really want to take a 1250 headphone to the gym, or commuting? I find good sounding but inexpensive iems work well while working out, personally, with higher quality ones for commuting. Or are you saying you’ll JUST be using them for home? If so, perhaps an auteur or eikon.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 9

Hi all:

Thanks.

If I were you I'd spend the money on a better amp/dac ... headphone-wise you are pretty well set in that price range and do-it-all-headphones unfortunately don't actually exist.
If you'd like to upgrade your headphones you might consider buying used ... a good old HE1000V1 in newish shape can be had for around 1k or maybe even less nowadays. Tons of options around ... go out and listen to as many headphones as you can ... that's the only way to find what you like ^^

Cheers and best of luck on your headphone journey :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back