Help me find my end game headphone (<US$500)
Oct 21, 2021 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

powerwog

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I'm trying to basically find my "end game" headphone, or as best as possible.

I own HD650 and they are ok but several problems: 1) pad comfort is horrendous, even after clamp adjustment 2) sound is mediocre for the price (i assume it's that 'Sennheiser veil' sound) 3) the lack of soundstage is unpleasant

I've tried out R70x (had to return quickly as it did not and could not fit my head properly) as well as Sundaras for about two weeks (which I'm soon to return to try something else). I will comment on the Sundaras that I love them so far. Nothing sounds like it's missing and music sounds like it's blossomed. I'd be impressed if music can sound better than it does now. Only complaint is I wish there was a little more room in the pads but it's infinitely more comfortable than the HD650's ever were. I want to explore more options a little bit longer before confirming another purchase and potentially selling my HD650's as they won't be my main headphone anymore.
The options I've thought of: K712/K612, DT880/DT900/DT990. Can't think of much else.

I've also looked into Audeze LCD-1 and LCD-2. Opted out of LCD-1 since just didn't seem like I'd find it comfortable build wise and also heard that it squeaks (big no no from me) and LCD-2 I'm sure would be too heavy for me. Verum One is also going to be a no from me.

What I'm looking for in a headphone: Perhaps something similar to a Sundara with a (slightly) bigger soundstage, if possible? Or whatever else honestly even if it's dissimilar, I'm open to trying new things. So far the K712 looks like what I will try next but I will also make the comment I like the Sundaras enough to where I am almost too sad to part from them, even temporarily

My sources: Meizu dongle (as a dac) + Schiit heresy for reference

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 57
Oct 21, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 57
Just get some Dekoni Elite Hybrid Angled Ear pads for your Sundara:

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/b-s...ds-for-hifiman-he-series-headphones-and-more/

I was already assuming I'd just end up going back to the Sundara, but since at the end I will want to finalise my purchase I didn't want to go into it without at least trying something else if said something else was similarly as good if not better. Unfortunately I don't have stores around me to bring them to my home to try myself.

How do those pads affect the sound? I've read pad changes can affect sound but since I'm not EQ-savvy either, I'm not sure how to account for any differences in the EQ profile as I EQ'd my Sundaras

Also the pads you linked, are there any pictures comparing the dimensions of the default Sundara pads? I've tried looking up aftermarket pads for Sundara and found most appear to look the same dimensions since they are the same shape. Only a few look truly angled

Something like this I notice the difference more on, though:
https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/products/zmf-universe-pads?variant=37201282597027

This. Given your stated preferences I don't think there's much out there $500 or less that are going to beat the Sundara.
I was thinking that was the case but didn't just want to assume.
Also what is your experience with the 4xx, and particularly compared to the Sundara if you have that experience? I have seen some people saying they are "basically" the same, and some even saying 4xx has a wider soundstage.

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #5 of 57
I was already assuming I'd just end up going back to the Sundara, but since at the end I will want to finalise my purchase I didn't want to go into it without at least trying something else if said something else was similarly as good if not better. Unfortunately I don't have stores around me to bring them to my home to try myself.

How do those pads affect the sound? I've read pad changes can affect sound but since I'm not EQ-savvy either, I'm not sure how to account for any differences in the EQ profile as I EQ'd my Sundaras

Also the pads you linked, are there any pictures comparing the dimensions of the default Sundara pads? I've tried looking up aftermarket pads for Sundara and found most appear to look the same dimensions since they are the same shape. Only a few look truly angled

Something like this I notice the difference more on, though:
https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/products/zmf-universe-pads?variant=37201282597027

The Dekoni ear pad dimensions are very similar to the general Hifiman hybrid ear pads, and they should not change the sound much, either. Really, the only real upgrade to the Sundara is $100 over your budget for a limited time (use this link only):

https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?emailprice=t

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 57
The Dekoni ear pad dimensions are very similar to the general Hifiman hybrid ear pads, and they should not change the sound much, either. Really, the only real upgrade to the Sundara is $100 over your budget for a limited time (use this link only):

https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?emailprice=t

If I may ask, how does the HE6se differ from the Sundaras in your words?

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 57
If you love the Sundara I'd probably stick with it and look to upgrade your DAC/amp chain instead. No guarantee that a different headphone will give you everything the Sundara does plus MORE of what you're looking for. Improving your source, amplification or even adding an EQ of some type will allow you to build on top of something that already sounds great to you.

Oct 21, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 57
If you love the Sundara I'd probably stick with it and look to upgrade your DAC/amp chain instead. No guarantee that a different headphone will give you everything the Sundara does plus MORE of what you're looking for. Improving your source, amplification or even adding an EQ of some type will allow you to build on top of something that already sounds great to you.

I've considered trying out a modi 3 dac to see if it's worth it, but what would be a reasonable upgrade for an amp that would also be worth the money? Since from my understanding a heresy, while not the best, was far from being the worst amp too.
I already have been EQ'ing my Sundaras as well

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 57
If I may ask, how does the HE6se differ from the Sundaras in your words?

From what I have heard, the HE-6SE would be more neutral (less coloration in the extensions) from the lack of tuning materials or changed driver array patterns and have less sensitivity, making more power required for the HE-6SE to sound as loud as the Sundara.

I've considered trying out a modi 3 dac to see if it's worth it, but what would be a reasonable upgrade for an amp that would also be worth the money? Since from my understanding a heresy, while not the best, was far from being the worst amp too.
I already have been EQ'ing my Sundaras as well

As long as you have an XLR cable for the Sundara or HE-6SE (comes stock with an XLR cable and 1/4" adapter), the Schiit Magnius is the most power amp you can get for $200 or under...just as long as you stick to the balanced out (SE out is less powerful than the Asgard and Magni):

https://www.schiit.com/products/magnius

Also, if you get the Magnius and want to upgrade the DAC, then the Schiit Modius is an obvious choice:

https://www.schiit.com/products/modius

Oct 21, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 57
From what I have heard, the HE-6SE would be more neutral (less coloration in the extensions) from the lack of tuning materials or changed driver array patterns and have less sensitivity, making more power required for the HE-6SE to sound as loud as the Sundara.

As long as you have an XLR cable for the Sundara or HE-6SE (comes stock with an XLR cable and 1/4" adapter), the Schiit Magnius is the most power amp you can get for $200 or under...just as long as you stick to the balanced out (SE out is less powerful than the Asgard and Magni):

https://www.schiit.com/products/magnius

Also, if you get the Magnius and want to upgrade the DAC, then the Schiit Modius is an obvious choice:

https://www.schiit.com/products/modius

Yea that seems a bit way above my budget honestly, when factoring in the other source upgrades I'd need to change too. Sucks since the sale price is moderately tempting. But I also have to factor in for Sundaras the price of new pads and a new cable.

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 57
Honestly, the sale price on the HE6se isn't a real sale price any more, it's the "I'm not incredibly impatient or an idiot and I'll wait (at most) 6 months for Adorama to run another "sale" before I buy" price. They've been on sale for $600 multiple times since late 2019.

They are very good, yes, but they were never worth $1800. No one in their right mind would pay that for them. Are they worth $600 new? Yes. Sadly that's probably about the best you'll ever see them for, as the used market doesn't seem to have caught up - most second hand sellers still value them as if they're $1500+ new headphones. (Again - they aren't. Yet those people are confused why no one will pay $800 for their used models...)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #12 of 57
Yea that seems a bit way above my budget honestly, when factoring in the other source upgrades I'd need to change too. Sucks since the sale price is moderately tempting. But I also have to factor in for Sundaras the price of new pads and a new cable.

Hence, why I said to just buy the Dekoni elite hybrid Hifiman ear pads. If you have an extra $250, then also get this cable to go with your Magnius purchase for Christmas 2021:

https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-Connector-Compatible-Headphones-Replacement/dp/B08DK586G6

...and wait until Christmas 2022 to see if you were a really good boy and deserve that Schiit Modius and Adorama Hifiman HE-6SE that is still hopefully $599. But yeah, just get the Dekoni Elite Hybrid Hifiman Ear pads for now.

Oct 22, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #15 of 57
Also, if you want an even deeper angle, then check out the Dekoni Elite Hybrid Audeze Ear pads, but see if the Hifiman mounting rings will fit them, as they are about 100mm-110mm in diameter:

https://www.amazon.com/Dekoni-Audio-Pads-Audeze-Headphones/dp/B07DLF26PP

Yea the deeper angle was what I was looking for. In search, I actually came across the Ori hybrid pads which I was going to look at. It actually appears cheaper to get 2 day shipping with the Ori pads and it'll still be cheaper than the dekoni ones, so I may go with that.
I also remember reading some time ago that hybrid pads are better for sound than just of one material, like all suede or all plastic/skin. This is presumably true for Sundaras, no?

The latest Hifiman Edition XS has potential though.

Are they even on sale stateside? I did a quick search and it seems like it's only being sold in China at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back