Help me find: DAC with two analog outputs
Sep 15, 2007 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dzjudz

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm in a bit of a tight spot: I don't have enough connections (inputs and outputs) on my gear (home setup) to connect them all together.

The components I need to connect:
- Laptop (either via USB or network connection, no digital or RCA out)
- Arcam CD73 (coaxial and optical out)
- Stereo system (only 1 RCA in)
- Corda Cantate (USB and RCA in)

Currently I have my home setup connected like this:
- USB from laptop to Cantate
- RCA from Arcam to Cantate
- RCA from Arcam to stereo

Connections I still need are:
- Laptop to stereo

What I would like as well:
- Laptop network connection to DAC (if possible) (my USB output gets screwed up all the time)

My solution: a DAC in between to regulate all the inputs and outputs.

What I need in this DAC is:
- coaxial or digital input (from Arcam)
- network (or USB) input (from laptop)
- 2 RCA outputs (one for stereo and one for Cantate)

I don't know if a network connection from laptop to DAC is possible, I don't really know that much about DACs (this will be my first stand-alone DAC). I'm going by the information I have on the Squeezebox, which takes a network connection, right? I really need the two RCA outputs though.

Price point: about 350 Euro / 500 USD, if possible.

Can anybody help me? Suggestions are very welcome.

P.S. Is it also possible for a DAC to have an RCA input? That way I can connect a dap to the DAC and have it output to the Cantate or stereo. So RCA in wouldn't hurt either.

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 11
Wow, that is really close indeed. The problem I have in my current setup is that I don't have a way to connect my laptop to my stereo, and that DAC doesn't offer a solution for that problem. Thanks for the link though.

I guess there are not many DACs with USB in and almost none with network connection?

P.S. I posted this in the wrong forum by mistake, it should probably be in the Source components forum. If a mod sees this, could he or she move it please?

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 11
I think this does the job?

Citypulse DA2.03eII with USB input

Looks to me like a perfect match, exactly the inputs and outputs I need. Now for some opinions/reviews
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 11
I believe any USB dac--there's a thread in the source forum naming a bunch--that has balanced analog out as well as rca out will do what you want, IF you use an xlr to rca adapter or cable on each channels balanced output thus creating a second rca output pair. The adapter takes one of the two phases of the balanced output from each side and the ground which is just what an rca carries.

Sep 16, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 11
Assuming you don't want to run your stereo and headphone amplifier at the same time, you can use a switchbox (one RCA in, two out). You can also use a Y cable.

Also, if your stereo amplifier has a tape out, you can connect the headphone amplifier there.

Sep 16, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 11
The problem is that I somehow need to connect my laptop via USB or network to my stereo's RCA in, that's what I need a DAC for at least.

I also tried running a dap and my Arcam to my stereo with an RCA Y-adapter in my stereo's RCA inputs, but this gets me very bad sound quality if both sources are connected at the same time.

My stereo does not have a tape out.

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 11
yeah, x2 on the 0404. Since the 0202 has two analog outs, a regular mini stereo size plug, and a L/R large mono plug out, I'm guessing the 0404 also has a similar output. All you need are some converters to convert the plugs to RCA.

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #10 of 11
If you want to buy an RCA switch that may help your case. Also if your are interested in transferring music via ethernet or wifi, you can use airtunes from apple. It's their Airport Express with Airtunes. This isn't really a DAC solution, but an alternative route.

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #11 of 11
CIAudio has one for 595$.

Or you can get a Mapletree Line Router for about 150$ that lets you put up to four inputs and three outputs. http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back