Help me find closed, circumaural headphones
May 8, 2003 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MattW

New Head-Fier
I'm a long-time reader of this forum.

I'm looking for some closed headphones which are circumarual. I want some ones that truly will not touch my ears.
My budget is "$200 or less", even though I'd probably be happy with some less-than-$100 cans.

I tried several Senns at my local stereo shop.
The HD200s were circumaural (at least for my ears) but they didn't clamp down on my head so the bass will be wimpy.

The HD545s were very comfortable but they're OPEN, not closed.

Let me also ask, how old are these models? I can't find them listed on headroom.com's store, nor on sennheiser.com. Is my stereo shop selling 5-year-old headphones?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

-MattW

May 8, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 9
MattW,

The HD545's had been discontinued, replaced by the inferior HD570's (which Headroom doesn't carry any more, because they didn't care much for the 570's). And the HD200's haven't been distributed in the US for over a year, though they are still being sold in other countries.

May 8, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 9
Standard recommendations are Sony V6 and Senn HD280. What kind of music do you listen to? I listen to rock and metal and have been very satisfied with my V6s. They're completely circumaural with the Beyer pads on them.

May 8, 2003 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 9
You might want to consider Beyer DT 250-80's

What are you going to use these for btw? Home, travelling, portable?

May 8, 2003 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 9
The replacement for the HD545 was the HD565. Virtually the same headphone. The HD565 has also been discontinued.

So yes the store in question is selling 4-5 year old headphones.

May 8, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 9
I know nothing about them myself personally, but a search should reveal a bit more info...

What about the new AKG 271s? It's closed, circumaural, and from what I read from the one guy brave enough to get them was that they were good. For some reason AKG doesn't get lots of love, and I'd like to know why.

May 8, 2003 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 9
You should get some Fostex T50 headphones. Super comfy and detailed and easily powered and I'm actually not really sure about any of that because apparently no one on this forum has ever used them. I first saw fostex in a music video where Dave Grohl was wearing them and apparently they're used in a grip of studios even though it seems no one hear has ever heard of them.

http://www.music123.com/item/?itemno=30755

If you feel like being a guinea pig (which I somehow doubt) there it is. www.music123.com has the fostex line and they range from 80-100 bucks. no sales tax except in nj and 45 days to return for full refund.

but anyways...

May 8, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 9
Possibly because they're German in the current climate... That Great American Logic in action
evil_smiley.gif

Also AKG probably isn't as well marketed as the other brands... My headphone (only, no amps/sources/etc) spending over the last 3 years is easily in the $ high 4 figures, but I've managed to circumvent AKG altogether, simply because there's a dearth of them in most shops I went to.

Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
For some reason AKG doesn't get lots of love, and I'd like to know why.

May 8, 2003 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 9
If I had the money (who am I kidding, I'll somehow find a way to do it anyway
very_evil_smiley.gif
), I'd get the AKG 271s for those times I want isolation. www.thomann.de has them and they've been calling to me for the past couple of weaks now.
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back