Help me find ambient sleep sounds?
Nov 2, 2006 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fivefanband

100+ Head-Fier
I've been having trouble sleeping lately and I've trying out playing ambient sounds over my headphones to help me sleep. Trouble is that the only one I can find so far I can is a thunderstorm. I'm looking for cityscapes, forest noises, ocean sounds, anything. I've searched all over the internet but I can only find sound effect web sites with 15 second samples.

Has anybody had this same problem or could help me find what I'm looking for?

Nov 2, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 13
You should buy this...

rrsomniumbig.jpg

http://www.robertrich.com/rrsomnium.html

Works great for me. I've never made it through a full track. It's great.

I love this guy's broadcast as well. It'll be a sad sad day when he decides to quit...

http://www.sleepbot.com/ambience/broadcast/

Nov 2, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fivefanband
I've been having trouble sleeping lately and I've trying out playing ambient sounds over my headphones to help me sleep. Trouble is that the only one I can find so far I can is a thunderstorm. I'm looking for cityscapes, forest noises, ocean sounds, anything. I've searched all over the internet but I can only find sound effect web sites with 15 second samples.

Has anybody had this same problem or could help me find what I'm looking for?

do you have discount stores like ross or marshall where you live? if so, they always have nature sounds cd sets in the discount racks. good luck.

Nov 2, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 13
Nuuk, by Thomas Koner. At a low volume, I use it daily (meaning nightly).

nuuk2.jpg

Many of Koner's other recordings are exceptional but not necessarily soporific. The next rest thing to Nuuk is probably Zyklop. The only problem with finding the latter is the demise of Koner's key label, the original Mille Plateaux.

Like over two hundred other German labels destroyed by the collapse of the distributor, EFA, Force Inc./Mille Plateaux folded a few years ago. It briefly became MillePlateauxMedia in 2004, died yet again and was resurrected recently with a traumatizingly spare catalog.

Apparently, Nuuk is once again out of print. If I didn't own a copy, I'd snatch one from BoomKat immediate mot.

Nov 2, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 13
Google the word "Binaural". You'll find a weath of information about the science involved, and links to CDs. It's not simple ambience, but you may find it quite rewarding.

Nov 3, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I've experimented a little with Pzizz.

I tried that this afternoon and I liked it. With the student discount, it is only $10. Certainly worth a try.

Nov 3, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 13
Two other possibilities:

Stepping into the Dark and Weather Report, by Chris Watson -- particularly the latter's third track, "Vatnajokull," a recording of the vast and eponymous glacier in Iceland. Calving, chill and windhollow droning, it creates a plangent lull, which sends me to the domain of Hypnos.

I can't listen to anything boistrous or positive when I'm trying to sleep -- I have to feel the earth is an abyss and I'm about to hibernate for years (perhaps in my coffin, should life prove tedious). The Tilgner recordings do sound interesting, and I'm going to make the effort to listen to them, but I doubt that birds will ever draw me down the way icy sounds do: arctic gales or distant grim machines.

h40143x9hct.jpg

1420112.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back