Help Me Find A Specific Design Of Over-Ear Earphones
Apr 17, 2020 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pepanee

New Head-Fier
Hello. I need help finding earphones that have a hook that goes above the ear, so they don't fall out, while I'm jogging/running/excising.

But let me be specific about it. All the modern earphones have that small round thing that goes all the way inside the ear. My ear design isn't designed to experience those. So I'm looking for something that has a hook that goes over the ear like this:
94dee39b-140a-4e02-ac8f-33a4e7874f89_1.4b59216ef8c835cc473f461ef67a03ad.jpeg

but with the speakers that are the round design, that doesn't go all the way in the ear. Something like the early generation iPod earphones, which look like this:
31igtic-oCL.jpg

So just a summary to conclude what I'm talking about:
I need wireless earphones that are the big round ones (in the white earphone picture) that have a hook that goes above the ear (like in the black picture). Also with great music quality.

Thanks so much!

Edit:
I am looking for something EXACTLY like this, but without the wires (and uses BlueTooth):

51gHG9AnyhL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 18
I’ve never come across anything like that. Have you tried different ear tips to get better fit? Is it a comfort thing, very small ear canals or something else?

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 18
Darn, I hope someone else have seen something like that somewhere.

And yes, my ear canals are a bit tiny; sometimes the tip of those modern ones doesn't really go in my ear. Yet the circular ones in that white earphones picture covers everything and has loud, volumestic sound that is amazing. I just want to switch from wired to wireless.

I hope someone knows a company that develops those types of earphones.

I appreciate your reply though. =)

Apr 18, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #5 of 18
Apr 18, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 18
Maybe you could kludge something together? I'm thinking something along the lines of...
Earbuds with MMCX cable attachments:
mmcxearphone.jpg

plus ear hooks as previously mentioned:
6132FEaszrL._AC_SL1488_.jpg

And a Bluetooth adapter:
bluetoothadapter.jpg

Not "true wireless," but getting closer.

There are true wireless adapters as well, like the new Shure ones:
twadapter.jpg

but those seem designed specifically for IEMs (also kinda pricey for workout earbuds). Perhaps they'd work, though, I don't know.

Apr 18, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 18
SilverEars: Yes, completely wireless. No wires at all.

megabigeye: Yes we're getting closer! Without the thing that goes behind the head though. When I'm exercising at the gym, I sometimes rest my head on padding. That thing that's behind the head would be inconvenient. But yes, we are getting closer. I was trying to think of something I can manually put together, but that would be difficult and too much work. It would be perfect to find something like what SilverEars suggested in his first post, but wireless. That would be the perfect thing I'm looking for!

This:
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHS3200PK-37-Flexible-Headphones/dp/B00JXLGDQ2?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_7
but with no wires

And yes, I'm looking for something along the lines of the 20-40 dollar range, not the expensive stuff.

Apr 18, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #13 of 18
SilverEars: Yes, completely wireless. No wires at all.

megabigeye: Yes we're getting closer! Without the thing that goes behind the head though. When I'm exercising at the gym, I sometimes rest my head on padding. That thing that's behind the head would be inconvenient. But yes, we are getting closer. I was trying to think of something I can manually put together, but that would be difficult and too much work. It would be perfect to find something like what SilverEars suggested in his first post, but wireless. That would be the perfect thing I'm looking for!

This:
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHS3200PK-37-Flexible-Headphones/dp/B00JXLGDQ2?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_7
but with no wires

And yes, I'm looking for something along the lines of the 20-40 dollar range, not the expensive stuff.

Just slightly out of budget but the closest I see is Sabbat x12 Pro, however those are airpod shaped (also have IEM style model). https://www.scarbir.com/tws/sabbat-x12-pro-review

Decibullz make some moldable earpod hooks if that would help increase your options (or could fashion your own from some Sugru perhaps) https://www.decibullz.com/custom-moldable-airpods-and-earpods-ear-hooks/

I am pretty sure I have seen some super cheap not terribly safe looking generic knockoffs of the airpods using earbud style at bodegas but idk what they are called (you could spend a week hunting around aliexpress). Otherwise it seems like what megabigeye suggested with TWS adapters is the closest option ATM.

Considered bone conduction headphones? For instance from Aftershokz. They all seem to be "neckband" style but it's just a thin springy band in the style of old sports headphones not the cumbersome battery thing, might be servicable for floorwork.

Also FWIW re IEMs: some brands like shure and westone have narrow nozzles that you might find comfortable.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #14 of 18
Just get the AirPods Pro. They are quite comfortable. Personally, I don't feel a thing when they are on, but YMMV. They are not bud style, but I find them comfortable and convenient, and sounds good with very practical feature of ANC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back