Help me find a mid-range Phono Pre-Amp that won't break the bank
Jul 14, 2014 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

toschek

500+ Head-Fier
Listening rig is currently:

Cary Audio SLI-80
Schiit Bifrost Uber (digital)
Pro-Ject RM 1.3 w/ stock Sumiko Pearl (analog)
Definitive Technology STS (loudspeakers)
Sennheiser HD800 (headphones)

I'm using a really low end phono stage right now, namely a Behringer pp440. It gets the job done but I know there are better out there for reasonable prices (let's say < $500 as an arbitrary number). I have no desire to digitize my vinyl, in fact as far as future music purchases go I will be adding vinyl primarily unless the album/piece I'm looking for is CD/DVD only. I love that most new vinyl comes with the option to download a digital copy (especially when they offer .wav or lossless format downloads!)

Anyway, the Behringer has been holding up ok but I feel like I'm missing out on some sound staging and dynamics - this can partially be attributed to the Pearl I'm sure since it's been said by some to have a narrowish soundstage, but I really don't give a lot of credence to those rumors as the soundstage has been perfect in every recording we (wife and I) have fed it so far, from classical to hardcore. So I'm pretty sure the weak link here is the Behringer.

Therefore, I need some suggestions for a replacement, again $500 or less is my target. And I've read up on the Rolls/Bellari VP130 and it doesn't sound like that is what I want. In the Cary I've already got all the tubes I need, I am aiming to keep this pre-amp solid state if at all possible (suggestions of course welcome).

Anyway, I await your responses with bated breath. Thanks Head-Fi as always for having a community that knows what's what!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back