help me find a best pocket radio please
Dec 24, 2003 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kvirat

New Head-Fier
hello freinds

i am new here. it got a lot of knowledge here. i found this site because i am going to set up my portable radio system. i always listen radio when i walk and work out. in my idea, radio is a cheapest resouces. i do know it is hard to find audiophile quality from pocket radio. but i really want a best one regardless price. i also looked at the old thread but it is still hard to make a decision. i decide to use Er4Ps as a headphone ( am i wrong??) and amp later if needed.
is the modified radio really better than unmodified?

thanks in advance for all comments.
ken.
tongue.gif

Dec 24, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 15
where do you live ? Do you ONLY want a radio with no other features ? What band will you be listening to..or will it be both AM/FM ?

Dec 24, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 15
thanks a lot for ur comment, sweet spot. sorry i didn't tell about where i live. i am staying in chicago. most of time, i listen to FM musics. my concern is about reception and quality of sound.
my old portable radio is sony SRF-M80V. the reception is not so good. sound is too hard.
in my review, i didn't know this one. how is it?

thanks
ken

Dec 25, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 15
Definitely check out this page -- if you scroll down, Xin compares all of the major pocket radios for sound quality, reception, etc.:
http://www.fixup.net/tips/pktradio/pktradio.htm

I also recommend these pages:
http://www.fixup.net/tips/srfs83/srfs83.htm
and
http://www.fixup.net/tips/srf49/srf49.htm.

Xin is obsessed with finding the radio with the best sound quality. I think he recommends the SRF-S83 right now. I used to own an SRF-49 myself and really, really liked it. It was truly enjoyable to listen to, and very smooth sounding. It also did an admirable job of driving all of my headphones.

Dec 25, 2003 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 15
The iRiver iFP-390T is a 256mb mp3 player with a built-in radio that is superior to the Sony T-615. I used to have both the players and compared A/B. The iRiver has exceptional reception and sound quality. highly recommended for radio.

Dec 25, 2003 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 15
Sangean DT-210V -- it's quiet (little hiss) at the headphone jack, has bass boost, and the reception for AM and FM is pretty good -- better than any Sony portable I've tried (SRF-M35, ICF-SW7600GA, SRF-M10).

Dec 25, 2003 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 15
Merry Christmas

austonia, u mentioned about iRiver iFP-390T, how about the other new iRiver, IHP-120? is it the same FM quality?
D555. your old thread ever talked about modified radio at fix-up. did u ever try one? what do u think when compare with unmodified or sangean DT-210V?

thanks
ken

Jan 3, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 15
Hello,

I have no intention of trying a modified Sony from fixup.net. I can modify my own if I want to. Sony RF circuits are inadequate for my needs in a area with multiple 50,000 Watt stations. If local stations are interfering with other local stations on the radio then fidelity means nothing because the stations are unlistenable.

I find the Sangean DT-210V has reasonable RF circuits that can provide quality reception in my area without too much overloading and interference. Selectivity is OK. The Sangean utilizes 220uf electrolytic capacitors for each channel of the headphone out. Good enough for 32ohm operation.

Best regards,

Paul

Jan 3, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 15
I've just gotten an SRF-S54. Boy, i love it. It is small (smaller than the S84) and imo has superior sound. Haven't modded it yet, but i compared both in stock forms. Also, the S54 has superior reception. The S54 sounds more dynamic and is clearer, however, it has a more audible hiss than the S84, but only evident in quiet portions of the songs. I also enjoy this radio more than my beloved modded SRF-S56, which is/was my reference. The comments of the S54 and S84 are quite similar to the S56, so i won't go further on that.

Feb 26, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 15
I know I'm a bit of a gravedigger here, but I also bought a Sony S54 today and I have to agree it's a great portable radio. I actually got an Aiwa CR-LA16 first before I ended up in another shop half an hour ago and saw they had the S54 on sale. After a couple hours of comparing sound and reception I'm keeping the S54. The LA16 is pretty good too, but the wider soundstage of the S54 is quite unusual for a small portable radio. Also anyone eyeing the SRF-M10 I would have to suggest stay away, unless you're living in an area with damn strong signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back